PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions

nrengle
07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Ok guys, looking for a few opinions from people that have used the following.

Megs D151 Reconditioning Cream vs Optimum Poli-seal. Which do you like better and why. I'm kinda torn between the two, prices are about the same for a gallon sized.

Megs Hyper-wash vs Optimum Car Wash, I'm leaning towards the Megs cause of the dilution ratio. Anyone used it in a foam gun? How'd it work?

And then I'm looking at the Optimum sampler pack so I can try the wash and the tire shine and trim protectant, as I'm about out of my protectant, and then I want something cheaper in a tire shine than Wolfgang Black Diamond. What's the life like on the Optimum? I was thinking of Hyper-dressing just cause it can be diluted to different ratio's but have read that it doesn't last long at all.

Also what do you guys think of the Edge Wool Pads? Anyone used them? After working with my PFW the other day, I really just started liking how the wool blew through defects, and I could control it better on some body lines compared to white pads.

Emile
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I love Poli-Seal but I have never used D151. I get awesomeness results whenever I use Poli-Seal by hand or by machine. I mean, I only get real correction from it when I apply it by machine with a White Polishing Pad, but it takes lots of time as it has to be worked in, in 2x2 sections until the whole car is done, similar to a true polish.

Hyper-Wash is probably a much better value at a kickass 400:1 dilution ratio. Optimum Car Wash produces amazing foam but it's still like most other car wash soaps with a dilution ratio of 1oz per gallon, or in this case 128:1.

Jimmie
07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Same as Emile. Haven't used D151, but have used Poli-Seal a lot. I like it because I get more correction than other AIO's. That plus you can mix with Optimum Polish for a little more cut. I use Justin's old formula of 80% Poli-Seal / 20% Opt. Polish.

nrengle
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok, so the consensus is so far for Poli-seal. I was kinda leaning towards it after some research too... I think the Hyper-wash is gonna be the one for me. Just curious how it works in a foam gun.

I still can't find a tire shine I like that's affordable and lasts a while. My Wolfgang is already wearing off after a week (and after doing a ARO clean of the rubber!) What do you guys think of the Optimum tire shine?

Smokin
07-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I have both D151 has more cut that is about it. They both work great as a 1 step. Hope this helps.

nrengle
07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks Smokin. What's the work times like, and protection like afterwards?

A difference of only 5 bucks a gallon makes it tempting for either one.

CharlesW
07-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Ok, so the consensus is so far for Poli-seal. I was kinda leaning towards it after some research too... I think the Hyper-wash is gonna be the one for me. Just curious how it works in a foam gun.

I still can't find a tire shine I like that's affordable and lasts a while. My Wolfgang is already wearing off after a week (and after doing a ARO clean of the rubber!) What do you guys think of the Optimum tire shine?Another fan of Poli-Seal here, but like the other replies, I haven't used the D151.
Keep in mind you are basing your decision on information from people that haven't used the Meguiar's. And a D151 user stopped in while I was typing.
Having said that, I don't think you will be disappointed in the Poli-Seal. If you are, PM me. I may need more by the time you finish trying it and we might be able to work a deal.

As far as the tires, I am happy with Poorboy's Bold N Bright, but......
It isn't shiny. (I don't like shiny tires)
As far as handling an ARO wash, I don't use anything but the BnB to both clean and dress my tires and I do it every time I wash the vehicle.

ryandamartini
07-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Im interested in this as well. We have a special coming up in a few weeks and we are looking for the best seal / polish combo.

Emile
07-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Tire shines always lose their initial shine quite quickly and then your tires just look black. I have found that applying two coats of tire shine a couple of hours apart usually gives the best durability in terms of maintaining the initial shine.

Water-based tire shines such as from Optimum typically have the worst durability as they don't stand up to rain storms. But I have heard that Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel works quite well, but never used it myself.

So far, the most durable tire shine I have used is the ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine Gel. I am currently typing this post in my garage with my car sitting behind me....after 200 miles of driving, some of that on dirt and stone roads, the tires are still looking pretty shiny. They have lost most of the initial shine, but still look decently shiny. Gel tire shines seem to be the most durable way to go...they don't sling and they maintain their shine.

The Four Star Tire Protectant Spray is on BOGO but don't buy it. It has trouble soaking into the rubber and even after 24 hours of drying time, it still ends up slinging/running onto my wheels. Perhaps the Four Star Tire Gel may yield better results as that is on BOGO as well.

Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray is definitely one of the best value tire shines. Looks great, has damn decent durability, you use very little per application, and it's very affordable.

nrengle
07-21-2009, 03:05 AM
So far for me it appears that Meg's Hyper Wash, still the Optimum Sampler to try some different products (even just for me), Opti-bond quite possibly, and still on the fence with D151 and Poli-Seal. But leaning towards Poli-seal, since it looks like it gets a good 2 to 3 months of protection while D151 falls off very fast, generally 3 to 4 weeks it appears...