PDA

View Full Version : question about woolite

detailguy71
07-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Greetings detailites. I have been reading on several detailing forums about interior cleaning and i was curious to REALLY learn about using woolite for vinyl, leather, and in some instances carpets. I would like to know what other users are saying about how to use woolite and exactly what is the dilution ratios for effective cleaning without harming the interior. I tried to read every forum post pertaining to this, but have not picked up anything yet. Please feedback is needed. GOD BLESS!

:grouphug:

Superdutytd
07-19-2009, 02:45 AM
I am interested in this too as I beleive many people are using a 1:6 or 8 ratio for cleaning interiors. How expensive is Woolite?

NotZeroSix
07-19-2009, 04:56 AM
I am interested with this topic too! Also, does anyone know what kind of woolite to use? There are different variations of woolite...

ScottB
07-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I use to use diluted Woolite to clean headliners without issue. I heard many bad things and kinda have refrained from it. Never however seen any damage or loosened headliner because of it.

For carpeting, I use Folex or Wolfgangs Spot Remover.

Jimmie
07-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Woolite (all white jug w/blue printing) 8:1

Bunky
07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Woolite (all white jug w/blue printing) 8:1

I had used some woolite to clean some leather at 7 or 8:1 but I was thinking when you put it in the washer it is much more diluted than 1:8. You may put in about 1/4 cup (4 oz) but there is several gallons of water.

Jimmie
07-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, much stronger than you'd use for a wash Bunky. I have used Woolite many times to wash MF's when I run out of Micro-Restore however. 8:1 is the rate guys use on leather. I usually only use it on carpet @ 8:1, but have used that rate on a whole interior once. Probably not the best but it was so nasty dirty I didn't want to waste the good stuff. Emptied the bucket many times.

pampos
07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Leather Cleaner recommend - Page 6 - Autopia.org (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/121352-leather-cleaner-recommend-6.html)
here you can find great info

wytstang
07-20-2009, 12:48 AM
I was just going to post that thread This post by David F. told me everything I needed to know about using woolite

Woolite is not made for automotive surfaces. Woolite is designed to clean fabrics and be flushed away with water, not clean plastics, vinyl and rubber and be wiped off.

I spoke with two reps from Woolite(Reckitt Benckiser) as well as their Supervisor and asked them specifically about cleaning car interior parts with woolite. Their response was that it offered the two problems. To fully remove the soap requires a large volume of water to flush it away, simply wiping off would leave a large amount of residue behind that could attract more dirt. The second problem they alluded to was that Woolite was never intended to clean materials other then fabric so they have never tested it as such.
When I specifically asked about Cadillac's & Lexus (as well as all other car manufacturers) recommendation for using Woolite to clean leather, both representatives where dumbfounded, stating that the Woolite has never, and never will, recommend their product for cleaning leather (specifically).

I followed this Woolite question up with highly regarded leather expert Roger Koh. When shown the MSDS sheet on Woolite, Roger was shocked that anybody would use this product on leather surfaces, stating that..
"pH Value:
The pH value indicated is 8.
The pH neutral of average leathers is 3 - 5.
Assuming the pH neutral of leather is 4, then this product at pH 8 is 10,000 times more alkaline than the average pH of leather.
pH scale is calculated at the power of 10.

The continue use of this product will cause the leather constituents like tanning agent, fatliquor to break bond (hydrogen bonding with the protein fibers), thus denaturing the leather.

The perforated and needle holes will crack as the leather weakens through continuous alkaline exposure combine with physical stresses and flexes.

Uneven application of alkaline cleaning products may results in streaks or brightening effect.

Most leather finishes will also turns tackiness on continuous use and can be detected by wet finger testing.

These adverse effects however can be corrected by neutralizing with a low pH of 2 with acidifier2.0™."

I also forwarded the Woolite MSDS to well known detail & chemical expert Ron Ketchum (Automotive International) his response was:

There is one component that is seriously high in percentage, and could create some damage, the sodium hydroxide . There is no reason for leather cleaner to contain it at all.

Below is the link to the MSDS for Woolite:

http://msds.reckittprofessional.com/...t/003291_r.pdf

Matt
07-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Thank you wytstang, that's very informative and I think should clear up any questions that anyone might have about the safety of woolite on automotive interior surfaces.

BRILLIANT!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Showroom Shine
07-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Thank you wytstang, that's very informative and I think should clear up any questions that anyone might have about the safety of woolite on automotive interior surfaces.

BRILLIANT!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Thanks Again, Wytstang
I have been questioning about the Woolite diluted on leather. Alot of detailers were firm in their decision to continue to use it. This info has finally given me the answer I had always suspected. Woolite is not good for leather!

Bunky
08-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I discovered my name brand tooth paste has sodium hydroxide in it too so I guess it is not all bad.