PDA

View Full Version : Between Claying and Cleaner/Polishing

CEE DOG
07-18-2009, 12:30 AM
I have conflicting advice here. Can you guys debate this and further educate me?
David B. says when you're finished claying your car, you should wash it to remove the lubricant film BEFORE using a pre-wax cleaner to finish cleaning the paint.
On You Tube I watched a video "Adams Polishes: Hand Polishing (DVD Volume 5)" which states that you sould leave it on. It will make applying the polish easier and nothing bad can possibly come from it.
So what do you guys say???

PS the products I am using is Ultima wash, ONR for clay lubricant, Ultima Paint Prep Plus by hand (enclosed foam applicator) and then Ultima Paint guard Plus if that makes a difference...

Thanks in advance!

nrengle
07-18-2009, 12:41 AM
If I'm polishing after a clay, I don't wash. If I go from clay to AIO/LSP I wash cause I generally do it after the initial wash, and don't dry the car to save some time.

Blackfire
07-18-2009, 07:47 AM
I do it the easy way, for me.

I wash the panel with sudsy water, rinse, soap the panel again, clay the panel, and rinse and dry the car when done.

Of course that's *IF* I'm going to polish and wax, not just a normal wash.:D

ryandamartini
07-18-2009, 08:04 AM
I guess its preference really.

I usually use a waterless wash after claying IF I am not polishing. Or I will do an IPA wipedown. I just dont like washing twice in the florida heat. Despite my best efforts, the water will always spot.

ScottB
07-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Most clay lubes are a type of soap/water/lubrication system and likely only provides lubrication for claying if you already washed prior as directed. Now claying might loosen some dirt/contaminents but rinsing with water should remove them and lubrication in most situations. Washing again, is likely an additional means of safety.

Blackfire
07-18-2009, 06:51 PM
I guess its preference really.

I usually use a waterless wash after claying IF I am not polishing. Or I will do an IPA wipedown. I just dont like washing twice in the florida heat. Despite my best efforts, the water will always spot.

We don't deal with heat in northern Ohio.
It's barely 70 today.