PDA

View Full Version : Any experience w/ UPPP hand applicator?

CEE DOG
07-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, I have my products and the time is drawing near when I shall etc, polish, seal my car for the first time. The salmon colored foam hand applicator that came with Ultima PPP looks awfully hard too me. Can a few people confirm that they have used this and if they did anything to soften it first? Also how hard to press against it. I'm sure I'm just being crazy but I am really scared I am going to screw something up since I have no experience.

Thanks for your patience,
Corey

Emile
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
It's a hard foam so that the pad doesn't absorb too much product. Use light to medium pressure and work in an overlapping motion to work in the polish. If you're not comfortable with the included applicator then just use your own foam or microfiber applicator pad.

CEE DOG
07-17-2009, 07:22 PM
It's a hard foam so that the pad doesn't absorb too much product. Use light to medium pressure and work in an overlapping motion to work in the polish. If you're not comfortable with the included applicator then just use your own foam or microfiber applicator pad.

It seems strange after all the stuff I read about not rubbing something dry against the paint! What about the dry part of the foam applicator?

ryandamartini
07-17-2009, 07:38 PM
It seems strange after all the stuff I read about not rubbing something dry against the paint! What about the dry part of the foam applicator?

Maybe just mist your pad with a QD and just apply the product using the face of the applicator? I dont think you will be causing any damage.

ScottB
07-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I used a standard foam applicator with UPPP ... just remember as light a coat as possible. The streaks are darn hard to remove after some time.

Emile
07-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I used a standard foam applicator with UPPP ... just remember as light a coat as possible. The streaks are darn hard to remove after some time.

He's talking about UPPP, which I think he means Ultimate Paint Prep, the polish.

CEE DOG, applicator pads (even the hard ones) are not like taking some random object and scraping it against your paint. They are typically made up of very dense foam that is meant to apply the product to the paint without scratching it. Once you start polishing, the pad will become primed with the UPPP and it will serve as a protective barrier from harming the paint.

Don't be so nervous, just go ahead and do it. If you are this nervous, then try a microfiber applicator as they are typically much softer.

ScottB
07-18-2009, 07:37 PM
way to many initials ....way to little time !

dc52nv
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi Corey, I'm planning on applying UPPP this weekend and topping it off with UPGP. I was just wondering how your application went. I know it's been a few years since this thread but thought that if you liked it, you'd end up using it again.

I will also use the included applicator to apply the product. Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

CEE DOG
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Got an auto email with a link to this caused by your response to this thread.

WOW! A thread from the dark ages!! Yes :D I like it a lot and UPPP followed by UPGP became one of my two favorite sealants. For a time this was number one. Now Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection is right there with it.

As far as tips its pretty straight forward. Just shake the UPP real well and apply a bunch of tiny dots to get it going. Polish it real good in a 2x2 section or a bit more. When it's hazed wipe it off. Move to next section. I'll post my UPGP tips momentarily.

Here you go ;) http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43047-ultima-paint-guard-plus-tips.html

Harleyguy
03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
As always thanks for sharing

dc52nv
03-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Got an auto email with a link to this caused by your response to this thread.

WOW! A thread from the dark ages!! Yes :D I like it a lot and UPPP followed by UPGP became one of my two favorite sealants. For a time this was number one. Now Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection is right there with it.

As far as tips its pretty straight forward. Just shake the UPP real well and apply a bunch of tiny dots to get it going. Polish it real good in a 2x2 section or a bit more. When it's hazed wipe it off. Move to next section. I'll post my UPGP tips momentarily.

Here you go ;) http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43047-ultima-paint-guard-plus-tips.html
Sounds good. The instructions are pretty straight forward, which I like. Did you need to tape off any trim or is the product trim safe?

CEE DOG
03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Tape off the trim ;)