PDA

View Full Version : Pine sap damage - How to deal with it?

HyTronix
07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Greetings,

I have a newish (2008) Subaru that during the construction of my new garage got parked outside, and pine sap dripped all over it.

I was able to remove the sap with rubbing alcohol, but there appears to be "raised" areas in the clearcoat now beneath where the sap was. I presume it's clearcoat damage, since what's there can be felt by hand, but can't be removed with additional alcohol. There is little to no discoloration in these areas (hard to tell really, if there's a residue or a *slight* darkening, and I'm colorblind).

Opinions anyone? Could this potentially be polished out, wetsanded & polished, or does it sound like it's going to require a re-paint?

Thanks,

-John

PaintPolisher
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I would try some clay bar on the raised areas to remove embedded sap stuff.

al

Blackfire
07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html)

CAR-GEEK
07-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I always use mineral spirits on a saturated piece of cheese cloth. Allow it to sit on the spot for 5 minutes. Then take a second piece of cheese cloth that is saturated and try to wipe / rub away the disolved or softened residue. Allow to brethe or dry overnight then begin using some paint correction steps and waxing processes.:D

DenisB
07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
soak a cotton ball in alcohol and let it sit on the sap for a couple of minutes. then a lil wipe off. that's it

Blackfire
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
soak a cotton ball in alcohol and let it sit on the sap for a couple of minutes. then a lil wipe off. that's it

There is sap all over it, as he says.

That's a lot of cotton balls and lots of dabs.

LOL

HMFIC
07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
:Picture:

BAZ50
10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
had two customers come in with pine sap..... well i finally found out what takes it off with no effort at all. carb cleaner . thats right carb cleaner and it never even hurt the paint . did a quick buff after and they came out great.

BAZ50
10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
:buffing:
had two customers come in with pine sap..... well i finally found out what takes it off with no effort at all. carb cleaner . thats right carb cleaner and it never even hurt the paint . did a quick buff after and they came out great.

Buckskincolt
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Carb cleaner is some harsh stuff. I used 90% IPA and got it. I had a couple spots that were like this and clayed them, cleaned them right up.

BlacNav
10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I used WD40, worked great.

Buckskincolt
10-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I used WD40, worked great.

I tried that first....Made a big mess...Guess I didn't do it right?:dunno: