PDA

View Full Version : Foam Applicator Storage

Blackfire
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Is it ok to store foam hand applicators in a zipped bag for future use or should it be washed out, dried and stored that way?

Thanks

While I'm at it, does the WG 3.0 Sealant really require a WG yellow foam applicator?

ryandamartini
07-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Is it ok to store foam hand applicators in a zipped bag for future use or should it be washed out, dried and stored that way?

Thanks

While I'm at it, does the WG 3.0 Sealant really require a WG yellow foam applicator?

i wash mine out, dry by pressing in a towel a few times then put them in a bag :)

loudog2
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I wash mine, dry them and put them in a ziploc bag.

WG DGPS does not require a yellow applicator. You can use any applicator.

Meghan
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
You can apply Wolfgang with an microfiber applicator or any quality foam applicator. As for the foam apps I dry them out and put them on the shelf.

Blackfire
07-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Thank you!

CharlesW
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Like some of the others, I also store my applicators and PC pads in zip-lock bags, but I don't seal the bag.
My thought is that the applicator/pad will be protected and still be able to finish drying if it has retained any moisture.
Sealing them if they are still damp could cause them to mold. (Guess how I found that out)

Blackfire
07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Like some of the others, I also store my applicators and PC pads in zip-lock bags, but I don't seal the bag.
My thought is that the applicator/pad will be protected and still be able to finish drying if it has retained any moisture.
Sealing them if they are still damp could cause them to mold. (Guess how I found that out)

I use the perforated fruit storage bags. I think those were made for applicator pads. :D

PaintPolisher
07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I use the perforated fruit storage bags. I think those were made for applicator pads. :D

I like the one's grapes come in. Ziplock top and perforated.

al

Blackfire
07-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I like the one's grapes come in. Ziplock top and perforated.

al

Yup!

InTheBuff
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I hung the hook side of some industrial adhesive velcro to the inside of a wall cabinet. I would then stick the pads to the cabinet and allow them to drip dry.

I need to find some of these fruit storage bags. Where can I acquire them?

Andrew C.
07-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Do you guys use a dedicated pad for each LSP? or do you wash it, dry it and use it for whatever you need?

Blackfire
07-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I wash it, dry it, store it and label it's use.

However, if a pad is thoroughly cleaned, the risk of cross-contamination is highly unlikely.

I visited a garage sale last evening that offered some interesting containers. They are mold testing petri dishes with vented sides. I bought a dozen to store my hand applicator pads. I also bought the rack that holds the dishes vertically stacked. It's amazing how many day to day items can be used in this hobby of detailing.

BenzDetailer
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
They Make mesh laundry bags that ZIP UP that are for washing Women's Delicate Items, they come in various sizes but some are one to two gallon size they are enough to hold several applicators (10-20). I wash all my foam waxing pads in the clothes washer along with some cotton towels. The pads stay in the bag during washing, drying etc. and then can be hung on a hook to air dry further or for storage. I divide my pads by foam and microfiber and a third bag of low pile cotton ones I use. I wash 200 applicators earlier this week.
When they are done we hang the bags right in the trucks ready to go. As they are used we throw them right back into a Mesh bag to be transported back to the office for cleaning. Im the MANand the process starts over again!

To Answer Andrews question under Post #11 - We believe you should use one for swirl removers, one for any other abrasives, one for sealents, one pad for hard wax, one for softer wax and one for glazes. So on a typical detail it is not unusal for us to use 12 to 15 pads per vehicle and an equal number of MF towels. This Practice has served us well for some 30 years. It prevents cross contamination of products and in the unlikely event there is a speck of something that might introduce scratching it is reduced by this practice.

Blackfire
07-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks Benz. The washing tip will come in to use here.

However, I won't be using 12-15 pads on my two cars, at least not anytime soon. :)