PDA

View Full Version : Alcantra treatment?

JCruiza120
07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi guys, my car seats are a mix of alcantra and leather.

I was looking at 7424 accessories today and saw the different upholstery brushes that are available - I was assuming before that I'd have to use an air compressor with an attachment to that, like at the detail shop I used to work at.

So anyways, on my passenger seat, on this alcantra, I've got some unknown dirt/stuff staining the front and some brake fluid staining the seat portion (>.<)

If I was to purchase Grey Ultra Soft Upholstery Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/grulsoupbr1.html) than what would be a good cleaner to use with the alcantra to clean the seats and get some of those stains off?

I'm not expecting the brake fluid to come out, but I figure a lightening of the stains is better than nothing.

Thanks!

James

RaskyR1
07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Taken from alcantara dot com

Maintenance / Stain removal

For smaller stains, if specific products are not on hand, follow these instructions.
- Act immediately, within 30 minutes of the stain's formation.
- First, remove the substance which has been spilled with a spoon or plastic spatula, if it is dense (yoghurt, jam, etc.), or with a white paper towel or sponge if it is liquid.
- Never pour the cleaning product directly on the material; rather, use a white cloth or a well-wrung sponge (rinse in clean water each time after wiping and wring out well).
- Try to reduce the stain by working from the edge towards the centre; do not scrub hard, otherwise it could spread or penetrate more deeply.
Depending on the type of stain, you can use water, lemon juice, or pure ethyl alcohol (grain alcohol) as a stain removal agent. Please read the treatment instructions below.
Water-soluble stains:
- Fruit juice, jam, gelatine, syrup, ketchup: lukewarm water; rinse by blotting with clean water.
- Blood, egg, feces, urine: cold water (avoid warm water, which could coagulate these substances); rinse by blotting with clean water.
- Liquor, wine, beer, Coca-Cola, tea: lukewarm water; treat any traces of colour with lemon juice, then rinse well.
- Copying pencil, cocoa, chocolate, custard and chocolate sweets, ice cream, mustard: lukewarm water; rinse by blotting with clean water.
- Vinegar, hair gel, tomato sauce, coffee sweetened with sugar: lemon juice, then lukewarm water; rinse by blotting with clean water.
NON-water-soluble stains:
- Lipstick, foundation, mascara, eye shadow, perfume, shoe polish, oil and grease, grass stains, markers (including permanent markers): blot with ethyl alcohol, then water, and rinse. Grass and marker stains, especially on light-coloured material, must be treated as soon as possible to keep them from drying.
- Chewing gum and wax: put ice in a plastic bag and set it on the stain; when the substance hardens, chip it away, then treat with ethyl alcohol.
Stubborn stains:
Try repeating the treatments described several times; even stains which are not water-soluble often require subsequent treatment with water.
Old stains of unknown origin:
First treat with lukewarm water, then rinse by blotting with clean water.
If you see the stain begin to dissolve, repeat the treatment; let dry, and if necessary, treat with ethyl alcohol.

JCruiza120
07-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you!

Emile
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Do not use the PC7424 and the carpet brush to try to clean up or remove any stains from alcantara. Alcantara is too sensitive and will get raped by a high-rpm carpet brush.