PDA

View Full Version : Help With Convertible Top

Donut
09-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I just bought a 99 Miata with a tan vinyl top. The body looks good but the top has some dark stains. Yesterday morning, I washed the top, left it wet with water, and tried cleaning it with 303 Convertible Top Cleaner. I used a toothbrush to get at the stains, then worked the entire top with a rag. The rag was getting black (despite have just washed the top!) and the top looks a lot better at a distance. The color is deeper and it shines. The stains, although lighter, are still there.

How can I remove these stuborn stains?

I assume that it's just dirt/rubber/tar or whatever a car normally encounters - nothing specific other than it not being maintained properly over the years.

Jiawei

ScottB
09-10-2006, 10:37 AM
fabric can get marred or etched just like paint. Think of a stain on a shirt, washed improperly and then dryed. The stain is set in, likely for life. Also note stains could be mold, as fabric tops are breeding grounds.

Now I would suggest re-doing just what you are doing. Dont move to the protectant until youve cleaned it to the best of your ability. You might even want to allow the cleaner to soak on top for a little while. When you feel its the best it can be, move to the protectant. It should also amp up the surface and hopefully further reduce any spotting or markings.

Donut
09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I scrubbed and scrubbed until my arm and patience wore out, put on the protectant, and called it a day. I will try again next time I wash and see if it improves.

Thanks!

Reddwarf
09-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I had a similar problem with a tan top. There is a black stain I could not get out. I want to get the 303 products and give that a try. In the meantime, I think I'm going to try Justin's formula: woolite mixed 4 parts water to 1 part woolite.

Donut
09-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Will that work for vinyl?

Reddwarf
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
He used it on a VW beetle and I assume that is vinyl.

BTW, since you have a Miata (awesome cars) you might be interested in this website. The guy is a good freind of mine and he does some awesome things with Miatas.

http://www.simpsondesign.net/Default.htm

Donut
09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Cool - thanks.