PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Seal and Klasse High Gloss Sealant

AeroCleanse
07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
How do the two compare in terms of durability and gloss?

agpatel
07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I think they are two different products. Klasse HGS on top of AIO is a near bulletproof combination for durability with good looks. Opti-Seal is a nice looking product but its main clam to fame is the ease of application, its durability is shorter than the Klasse twins (I have never used HGS on its own always used AIO in conjunction). I think if you do the Klasse twins and you are after durability then that will beat out a few coats of Opti-Seal. If time and ease of use is the main point you cant go wrong with Opti-Seal.

Emile
07-05-2009, 05:11 PM
:iagree: agpatel is right on the money with this one. I've heard 3-4 months of durability with Opti-Seal.

ScottB
07-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I have seem six months of protection and durability from the Klasse Twins. Its a little more finicky to apply/remove the sealant but bulletproof for months. Optiseal never saw more than two months protection and always streaked for me. I use it on wheels now ...

AeroCleanse
07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm looking into a better sealant than Meg's but those reviews indicated that they don't offer any better protection that the wax I use.

Emile
07-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Aero, I have had some pretty good luck with Optimum Poli-Seal. Applying by hand is easy as it buffs out like butta. It stays strong for several months and it works well on paint, chrome, glass, and plastic.

Some of the Collinite waxes are the ones that stand out as far as long-term durability but they're hard to buff off during the application process.

Chris Thomas
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I tried the twins vs PS/OS combo on my mom's 500sl. They looked almost identical that day, but the OPT side looked a little wetter the next day. Durability was about 5 months with both. The only edge was that the OPT combo is MUCH easier and faster to use. Both are top shelf products.

AeroCleanse
07-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I get 5-6 months from the Swissvax that I use, I was hoping a sealant would do better.

SATracker
07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
How do you determine that a sealant is no longer working?

Chris Thomas
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
This probably goes without saying, but durability shouldn't be an issue with OS as it only takes 5-10 minutes to apply.

CharlesW
07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
This probably goes without saying, but durability shouldn't be an issue with OS as it only takes 5-10 minutes to apply.True enough for those of us using it on our own vehicles, but not really convenient for the Professional after the customer has taken possession of his vehicle.

Chris Thomas
07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
True enough for those of us using it on our own vehicles, but not really convenient for the Professional after the customer has taken possession of his vehicle.

I'm not sure what you mean. You should have enough experience with the product you use to give the customer a rough estimate. If they want to do a "maintenance" coat, I will sell them the product and show them how to apply it. If they want super durability I will up-sell them to OptiCoat and guarantee it for a certain amount of time. You can make money anyway you want to look at it. Too many variable go into play with durability anyway. I mean you can apply a 6 month product that will be off the roof later that week if they use their washer fluid too much as it contains methanol. I only promise 3 months protection even on 5-6 month sealants unless they are exclusively in my care. What is they go home and wash with Dawn in the driveway?

CharlesW
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
This probably goes without saying, but durability shouldn't be an issue with OS as it only takes 5-10 minutes to apply.

I'm not sure what you mean. You should have enough experience with the product you use to give the customer a rough estimate. If they want to do a "maintenance" coat, I will sell them the product and show them how to apply it. If they want super durability I will up-sell them to OptiCoat and guarantee it for a certain amount of time. You can make money anyway you want to look at it. Too many variable go into play with durability anyway. I mean you can apply a 6 month product that will be off the roof later that week if they use their washer fluid too much as it contains methanol. I only promise 3 months protection even on 5-6 month sealants unless they are exclusively in my care. What is they go home and wash with Dawn in the driveway?I was referring to your comment about durability not being an issue with OS since it only takes 5-10 minutes to apply.
If you apply OS to a customers car and it starts to lose its look, it isn't likely that your customer will apply more regardless of how easy or quick it might be.
Chances are also good that they won't apply it correctly and blame the less than great results on the product.

I'm just a hobby detailer and the few cars I have done for others, I send them away with some of whatever LSP I used on their vehicle. Never, like 100% never, have any of them applied the product. People want their cars to look good, but don't want to put out any effort. As far as super durability, most people seem to think waxing a car once a year is plenty. Twice a year is for really fussy folks. My 4 to 6 week intervals are just dumb.

I recently had a conversation with a couple of friends that not only are happy with drive through car washes, they actually think the sprayed on and rinsed off wax at the car wash is protecting the vehicles finish. Late model Caddy, I think a CTS and a late model Honda Pilot. I love to park next to them to show just how bad their cars look compared to my old 2000 and 2004 vehicles.

FWIW, I do use and like OS, but I apply it every 4 to 6 weeks and about everything I have ever used will last that long.

Chris Thomas
07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
ok, gotcha. I use OS on customers cars and if I do the washes, it never looses the look because I boost it every time with OID or OCW. I also explain expectations if they choose to maintain themselves or use a tunnel wash. When they do buy OS to apply themselves, we do a panel together so they know how to do it correctly. I think educating them upfront, no matter what the LSP, is very important.

PaintPolisher
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
ok, gotcha. I use OS on customers cars and if I do the washes, it never looses the look because I boost it every time with OID or OCW. I also explain expectations if they choose to maintain themselves or use a tunnel wash. When they do buy OS to apply themselves, we do a panel together so they know how to do it correctly. I think educating them upfront, no matter what the LSP, is very important.

+1
Great advice :goodpost: