PDA

View Full Version : Tire shine in engine bay

zuper8
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

I got some NXT tire shine spray to wipe on some of the black plastic in the engine bay. It looked really good, so I kinda got carried away, and just started putting it on almost anything in there that was black. Except for the belts. That I knew was a bad idea.

So tell me, was that bad? Should I go wash it off?

oh yes, and if it is okay.... can I spritz the coils? I can't get them to look nice.

05xrunner
07-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I have used tire shine on my engine plenty of times. its just after a while the black hoses will turn brown and need a good cleaning to get them clean. I also use it in my wheel wells and suspension to get them all nice and spiffy looking as well. Never had any problem

ScottB
07-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I would not use a dressing on the serpentine belt as likely could slip and create a problem.

As for dressings on engine, I prefer a water based no silicone fast drying product like 303 protectant. Most of those other sprays and gels can actually attract dirt/dust and then it becomes more of a task to reclean later.

zuper8
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Oh, okay. Yeah I figured I shouldn't put it on the belts, but it's good to know it can be used for other things. I need to get that 303 stuff.

OGauge4Me
07-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Rachael:
Go out to the 303 website and they will send you some samples for $5.00. You might want to go to a marine supply shop to pick some up.

Or the best option is add it to your cart then wait till you have $95 in items and purchase with free shipping. The AG price is right in line with marine supply stores.

VISITOR
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
if you sprayed too much or saturated the engine, just wipe it down and you should be okay...

Emile
07-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Lots of pro detailers dress up suspension with tire shine or 303 Aerospace. Personally, I like to just clean my suspension with a wheel cleaner or degreaser and that's it, but that's just me.

Rsurfer
07-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi all,

I got some NXT tire shine spray to wipe on some of the black plastic in the engine bay. It looked really good, so I kinda got carried away, and just started putting it on almost anything in there that was black. Except for the belts. That I knew was a bad idea.

So tell me, was that bad? Should I go wash it off?

oh yes, and if it is okay.... can I spritz the coils? I can't get them to look nice.Next time get some CD2 made for engine detail and you can even spray your painted areas under the hood.

Jimmie
07-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Next time get some CD2 made for engine detail and you can even spray your painted areas under the hood.

+1 for CD2. Head and shoulders above the AA Tire Foam I used to use.

Finemess
07-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I used to use tire shine, CD2 lasts longer and looks better. IMHO

SpotlessDetail
07-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Stay away with anything containing silicone in the engine bay. Sure it looks great and cleaning it off is generally not a problem but the silicone can freak out the computer by tricking the air sensors.

akimel
07-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I have only used CD2 (a product AutoGeek should carry, IMHO) on my engine bay, but it sure was easy and it made the bay look great.

I hear that some folks have gotten good results from Stoner's Trim Shine and More Shine on their engine bays, but both are oil-based and so could draw dust if not used sparingly (so says Stoner). CD2, on the other hand, is an acrylic resin (I think) that dries clear and hard.

sal329
07-05-2009, 04:11 PM
CD2, Meg Hyper Dressing and now FK 350 are the 3 I use under the hood.