PDA

View Full Version : APC Cleaner for wheels that is spray and wipe!

Emile
07-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of condensing my gallon cleaners because as a recreational detailer, I simply have too many.

During the winter, I like to do ONR washes in the garage due to the cold, and I currently use Optimum PowerClean at 3:1 for the tires and wheels during these ONR washes. This is a great product because it's still very powerful at 3:1 and can be used as a spray-on-wipe-off product. That means no rinsing!

I also have gallon versions of Meguiar's APC+ and P21S Total Auto Wash. Can APC+ be used as spray-on-wipe-off at 4:1? I'm not sure if the 10:1 for medium-duty cleaning is powerful enough for tires and rims since I think that is meant for interior wipe-downs. How about P21S TAW? The P21S people told me to dilute 20:1 for spray-on-wipe-off interior cleaning, but what about for tires and wheels? Is there a dilution of TAW that can be used effectively for wheels/tires?

The wheels are factory aluminum-alloy so surface safety is not much of a concern.

Blackfire
07-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Can APC+ be used as spray-on-wipe-off at 4:1?

The label does say, "do not allow to dry on surface". Usually a wipe doesn't remove all the solution so I wouldn't be comfortable with just a wipe down.

I've been using it at 4:1 and the over spray burns the throat and eyes. It's got some kick to it at 4:1.

Emile
07-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the post, Blackfire.

APC+ is pretty damn powerful at 4:1. Meguiar's Super Degreaser will not return to my shelf once it is gone just because APC+ seems so similar in cleaning power at the same dilution ratios. No need for me to have both.

CharlesW
07-03-2009, 10:46 PM
My comments may not be of much help since you seem to need an APC type of product for cleaning your wheels and tires, but......
I have good luck cleaning my wheels with whatever I am washing the rest of the vehicle with.
Conventional wash, I just use the wash solution.
Rinseless wash, I use the rinsesless wash solution.
Waterless wash with Poorboy's Spray & Wipe seems to do an OK job on the wheels as well the paint. It doesn't do that great on the tires.
I have never had the need for any special wheel cleaners.

Tires, I happen to use Poorboy's Bold N Bright tire cleaner and dressing. I spray it on, scrub with a brush and wipe it off with an old terry towel. Seems to clean the tire, including white letters on one vehicle, and leaves a matte or satin finish that I prefer.
Of course I just added another item to the arsenal you are trying to reduce. :D

One reason I don't use wheel cleaner products or APCs at a high concentration is my thought that they will remove any wax/sealant you have on the wheels. I do think keeping the wheels waxed/sealed helps a lot in making them easier to clean.

Emile
07-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Charles. I completely agree with you in that the wheels don't need anything more than soap and water (or in this case, ONR), especially if they are waxed or sealed. But the winter is hard on the tires and Power Clean at 3:1 does a great job to clean those side-walls up and strip off most of the previously-applied tire shine. ONR works okay, but doesn't have nearly as much bite as Power Clean.

Bunky
07-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Charles. I completely agree with you in that the wheels don't need anything more than soap and water (or in this case, ONR), especially if they are waxed or sealed. But the winter is hard on the tires and Power Clean at 3:1 does a great job to clean those side-walls up and strip off most of the previously-applied tire shine. ONR works okay, but doesn't have nearly as much bite as Power Clean.

In your experiences, how does OPC 1:3 and APC+ 1:4 compare? In my limited experiments, I did not see much difference in cleaning ability on tires. OPC is supposedly not a very high alkaine cleaner like Meg's but uses different chemistry.

If I use a cleaner on on tires when using ONR, I just rinse them with the residue ONR since I do wheels last.

ScottB
07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
I too wondered if a rinseless wash was a nice option ???

Emile
07-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Bunky, OPC 3:1 vs APC+ 4:1 are very similar in cleaning power. I'm trying to get rid of OPC simply because APC+ does everything that OPC does for a much cheaper price and much more economical dilution ratios. I think APC+ is probably stronger but OPC has the benefit of being spray and wipe at the 3:1 dilution ratio.