PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bombs and Trees that Trash Cars

chilly
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
It seems to be a general rule that with a few exceptions you arent supposed to use detailing products on hot cars or in direct sun.

It also seems to be a general rule that if you get bird bombed or tree gunked that you need to get it off immediately.

So, what do you do when you go out to the parking lot at lunch and your ride has been desecrated and it is full sun and the paint is hot?

Which is worse, hitting hot paint with a quick shot of QD and a MF towel or letting the gunk stay on your car until you get home and the temp cools down?

I work a block from the ocean and the gulls are relentless. To make matters worse my TT just got fresh paint so there is nothing protecting the paint.

?????

Michael

builthatch
07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
just curious, ocean where?

also out of curiousity, is your car dark?

anyway, just get it off ASAP with the detailer. hot or not, you'll be ok vs. leaving the p00 on there.

this is an excellent reason to use optimum opti-seal hehe...

chilly
07-02-2009, 04:40 PM
just curious, ocean where?

also out of curiousity, is your car dark?

anyway, just get it off ASAP with the detailer. hot or not, you'll be ok vs. leaving the p00 on there.

this is an excellent reason to use optimum opti-seal hehe...

Builthatch,

I am in the Anchorage Alaska area, so we are on Cook Inlet off the Gulf of Alaska. Lots of birds.

It will get sealed eventually. The shop gave me the standard "wait 60 days to wax or seal" speech so to preserve the warranty I will go naked for 2 months.

The bad part is that we really only have about 5 months of good detailing weather here.....unless my wife gets her crap out of the 2 car garage.

But thats another story entirely! :D

Thanks

Michael

builthatch
07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
ahh, i'm in the same boat with waiting to seal. i just got some paint work done and it makes for some nerves when leaving the car outside, which i'm going to try to keep to a minimum. i like you live near the ocean, but in NJ.

ScottB
07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I keep a small travel size spray bottle with Poorboys Bug Squash and a MF towel in car. Spritz, saturate, and wipe off. I feel its worse to let it sit. Ever seen what an egg can do to paint if allowed to sit ...

chilly
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
ahh, i'm in the same boat with waiting to seal. i just got some paint work done and it makes for some nerves when leaving the car outside, which i'm going to try to keep to a minimum. i like you live near the ocean, but in NJ.

We are lucky because although we are technically on the ocean we are also at the mouth of a couple of major rivers that pump so much fresh glacial water into the inlet that we dont have the problem of salt corrosion that you get just being on the coast.

Hope you survive the waiting period and get some protection before you get any damage.

Michael

chilly
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I keep a small travel size spray bottle with Poorboys Bug Squash and a MF towel in car. Spritz, saturate, and wipe off. I feel its worse to let it sit. Ever seen what an egg can do to paint if allowed to sit ...

I have a bottle of Megs #34 and a couple of plush MF towels in the trunk. I have just been hesitant to hit the warm paint with the spray.

Yeah, I threw an egg or two in my misspent youth. Now that I am the one paying for the insurance and the deductible on the comprehensive claim, I wish I could go back and undo some of the punk stuff I did.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Michael