PDA

View Full Version : Polish question/confusion

SATracker
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Okay, so help me out here and please correct mistaken assumptions. In the detailing process:
1) Wash & clay
2) Polish out scratches, understanding there may be swirls
3) A milder polish to remove swirls
4) Seal & wax.

Assumption #1: I was told that Klasse AIO would be good to use after the polish but before the sealant to ensure any oils from the polish are removed. Once oils are removed the sealant adheres better, and wax?

Assumption #2: Use a quality polish that will not put "fillers" or oils in the swirls. It was suggested that Menzerna has oils and hides swirls, only to be seen later. But then I watched a 3M produced webcast that clearly says after using Perfect IT 3000 SE will leave an oil on the surface...and that's a good thing. (I tried to find the video link at 3M but it's down right now. I thought I misunderstood the 3M presentation, but I know the bottom line was that oils would remain on the finished surface and that would be a good thing.)

Question: After you've applied a final polish, are oils a good thing?

Make sense?

dublifecrisis
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
makes sense.

Though most polishes contains some form of oils/lubricants etc...it's generally not intended to hide the scratches.
Before sealing with a sealant, wax, or both-ideally the paiont would be as clean as possible to help the sealant bond with the paint. This bonding process would also help the sealant last longer. Cleaning a freshly polished paint surface to rid of any lingering polish oil will also reveal the true condition fo the paint so you won't have these swirls appearing later (unless you caused them by washing later).

Plenty of folks do not pefrorm this step. Some just go right from polishing to LSP. It's not a crime.

SATracker
07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate the information.

ScottB
07-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Klasse AIO can certainly be used after polishing and before a pure sealant as wanted to prep surface, not necessary but can be done.

Most polishes use lubrication which can contain oils, silicones, and water to keep polishes in liquid form. I have used Menzerna many times and dont feel they fill or hide markings any better or worse than others. I have used sealants directly over Menzerna without issue too. That said, most prefer to wipe down (iso alcohol) or rewash to be assured polishing is acceptable prior to sealing in your work.