PDA

View Full Version : Convertable top cleaner

atcjeff
07-01-2009, 10:24 PM
What do you guys recommend for cleaning a convertible top? I just finished detailing my friends mustang convertible, with a black fabric top. Its looking a bit faded and dirty. I have never had a convertible so I am unsure what to recommend they use to clean and restore the top. I got some good ideas from the AG site but would like to hear what people are using and their results. Thanks.

ScottB
07-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Ragtopp or 303 ....

akimel
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
My convertible top is vinyl. I use Raggtopp Cleaner, which can be used on both fabric and vinyl tops. 303 also sells a cleaner that can be used on both fabric and vinyl tops.

Meguiar's sells a marine canvas cleaner that can be used on fabric convertible tops.

clambros
07-02-2009, 07:36 AM
I use Ragtopp (cleaner & protectant) on my 650i Vert .. Very happy with results.

OGauge4Me
07-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Would you use the Ragtopp prior to doing a full detail on the car?

akimel
07-02-2009, 07:49 AM
I use the Raggtopp cleaner at the very beginning of the car wash. I use the protectant when most everything else is done. I don't know is this is the best way to do it, but it seems to work well for me.

You may find this video helpful:
Convertible Top CleaningContrary to the practice commended in the video, I prefer to spray the protectant on a microfiber applicator and then apply it to the top. How do other AG members apply their convertible top protectants?

Jimmie
07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Ragtopp or 303 ....

:whs: Also for your black top use tape or a clothes lint remover (tape type) to pull off any lint.

PaintPolisher
07-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I use the Raggtopp cleaner at the very beginning of the car wash. I use the protectant when most everything else is done. I don't know is this is the best way to do it, but it seems to work well for me.

Contrary to the practice commended in the video, I prefer to spray the protectant on a microfiber applicator and then apply it to the top. How do other AG members apply their convertible top protectants?

I do the same procedure and before applying the protectant I vacuum the top to remove any lint type debris. Works for me.

al

08StangGT
07-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I use a lint roller after cleaning and use it twice before applying protectant. I am always amazed how much stuff comes off an apparently clean top. LOL

Does anyone with a fabric top have any suggestions on cleaning the top during regular washes? (I don't think I need to use the Raggtopp cleaner weekly.) I have been using a brush with feathered tips dipped in plain water followed by lint roller when dry because several places say not to use soaps containing detergents (and not being a chemist, I can't tell what car washes fit this bill).

PaintPolisher
07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I use a lint roller after cleaning and use it twice before applying protectant. I am always amazed how much stuff comes off an apparently clean top. LOL

Does anyone with a fabric top have any suggestions on cleaning the top during regular washes? (I don't think I need to use the Raggtopp cleaner weekly.) I have been using a brush with feathered tips dipped in plain water followed by lint roller when dry because several places say not to use soaps containing detergents (and not being a chemist, I can't tell what car washes fit this bill).

I use ONR for convertible top cleaning. Soft brush and grout sponge.