PDA

View Full Version : Protect All Polish, Wax & Treatment

Investortn
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
I was looking for a waterless product that i could succesfully achieve an exterior detail with in a timely manner and ended up buying Protect All Polish, Wax & Treatment with UV Blocker. I picked this up from Camping World where it is advertised as an RV product. When I put it on my car it did give me a pretty nice shine and smooth surface (from the Carnauba in it) , but it did streak a bit . It reminded me of the run-off that silicone based tire dressing puts on the paint. I was applying the product directly on my car and wiping it with a MF towel then using a dry MF to buff it to a shine immediately after the first wipe ( as the directions state to do). Once my buffing rag started to become a bit wet it would start leaving streaks and it is not very easy to get this off. I would have to constantly wipe with a dry spot on my towel in order to achieve a quick and efficient wash with no streaking. To me , it is not worth using several towels to achieve this outcome , and seems to take more time than I was anticipating. For me it is all about speed, and I am looking for a product that is quicker than doing a traditional hand wash with soap and water. I would like this to be preferably waterless NOT A NO RINSE but WATERLESS. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

CharlesW
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I was looking for a waterless product that i could succesfully achieve an exterior detail with in a timely manner and ended up buying Protect All Polish, Wax & Treatment with UV Blocker. I picked this up from Camping World where it is advertised as an RV product. When I put it on my car it did give me a pretty nice shine and smooth surface (from the Carnauba in it) , but it did streak a bit . It reminded me of the run-off that silicone based tire dressing puts on the paint. I was applying the product directly on my car and wiping it with a MF towel then using a dry MF to buff it to a shine immediately after the first wipe ( as the directions state to do). Once my buffing rag started to become a bit wet it would start leaving streaks and it is not very easy to get this off. I would have to constantly wipe with a dry spot on my towel in order to achieve a quick and efficient wash with no streaking. To me , it is not worth using several towels to achieve this outcome , and seems to take more time than I was anticipating. For me it is all about speed, and I am looking for a product that is quicker than doing a traditional hand wash with soap and water. I would like this to be preferably waterless NOT A NO RINSE but WATERLESS. Any suggestions ? Thanks.First off, I don't think Protectall promotes their product as a waterless wash so it probably isn't what you are looking for.
You seem to have figured out that when your buffine towel gets wet and leaves streaks, a clean one is needed.
I tried it on a boat with the idea that I could use it on all the surfaces and Protectall does say that is one of the strong points of the product.
It wasn't a problem, but I wondered how one product could work for so many things and decided that a wax for my paint might not be what I wanted on my vinyl.
Because of that, I quit using it.
I should point out that I did not see any ill effects from the use of the product. The change was for my peace of mind.
It also didn't seem to be all that great of a cleaner, but that could very well have been me.

The only waterless wash I use at this time is Poorboy's Spray & Wipe. It is one of my favorite products. I don't use it on really dirty vehicles, (Some do), and I don't use it when the vehicle has caked mud/salt on it. It works great on the normal road spray from a rainy day.Try it, chances are you will like it.
You do seem to be concerned about the number of towels needed and that may be something you won't like about S&W.
You spray the product on, it encapsulates the dirt, you wipe, (Don't rub), the product and dirt off. That dirt is now in/on the towel. The towel will become dirty. Hey. the dirt has to go somewhere.

ryandamartini
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I was looking for a waterless product that i could succesfully achieve an exterior detail with in a timely manner and ended up buying Protect All Polish, Wax & Treatment with UV Blocker. I picked this up from Camping World where it is advertised as an RV product. When I put it on my car it did give me a pretty nice shine and smooth surface (from the Carnauba in it) , but it did streak a bit . It reminded me of the run-off that silicone based tire dressing puts on the paint. I was applying the product directly on my car and wiping it with a MF towel then using a dry MF to buff it to a shine immediately after the first wipe ( as the directions state to do). Once my buffing rag started to become a bit wet it would start leaving streaks and it is not very easy to get this off. I would have to constantly wipe with a dry spot on my towel in order to achieve a quick and efficient wash with no streaking. To me , it is not worth using several towels to achieve this outcome , and seems to take more time than I was anticipating. For me it is all about speed, and I am looking for a product that is quicker than doing a traditional hand wash with soap and water. I would like this to be preferably waterless NOT A NO RINSE but WATERLESS. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Ok if you want to give a detail and not a cheap car wash, you need to change your methods. A foam gun followed by a mit in your other hand is fast when you get the hang of it and then just rinse. Then dry.

Your other option for very lightly dirty cars would be something like Poorboys Spray and Wipe waterless Wash. For anything else, optimum no rinse would be a good option.

Nothing available comes close to replacing a regular wash or ONR. Sorry but your going to have to show some quality over speed for detailing and expecting customers to come back.

Unfortunately there is no magic detail chemical.

Investortn
07-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys for your responses ! It has been 10 years since I was in the detail business and I am trying to educate myself on some of the newer products out there. I can do a great job on a car with a hand wash , wax , etc ( traditional ways of detailing), but I have been reading about these products and how the use of water is not needed to achieve a complete exterior detail in about half the time. So in order to find out I tried this product. With this particular product I was able to see that this is not the case. My whole reason for trying something like this is to find something that works without water so that I can promote myself as a "Green Detailer" with an eco friendly approach. Also, if the time it takes to do a traditional wash can be cut in half with these products then that would be great too. Time is money. I am not wanting to necesarrily sacrifice quality for an extra 15 minutes at the same time. There is something to be said about a quality job that may take a little longer. But I also need to find that "sweet spot" that people will want to pay for to utilize my services. Not everyone wants a 3 hr, 250.00 detail. I would say that the majority of people want what a car wash gives them and then maybe a little bit extra. I am experimenting right now , that's all. Any suggestions would be great. I have my vision for how I want this business to be and I am beginning to put some steps into action to take it there.

ryandamartini
07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys for your responses ! It has been 10 years since I was in the detail business and I am trying to educate myself on some of the newer products out there. I can do a great job on a car with a hand wash , wax , etc ( traditional ways of detailing), but I have been reading about these products and how the use of water is not needed to achieve a complete exterior detail in about half the time. So in order to find out I tried this product. With this particular product I was able to see that this is not the case. My whole reason for trying something like this is to find something that works without water so that I can promote myself as a "Green Detailer" with an eco friendly approach. Also, if the time it takes to do a traditional wash can be cut in half with these products then that would be great too. Time is money. I am not wanting to necesarrily sacrifice quality for an extra 15 minutes at the same time. There is something to be said about a quality job that may take a little longer. But I also need to find that "sweet spot" that people will want to pay for to utilize my services. Not everyone wants a 3 hr, 250.00 detail. I would say that the majority of people want what a car wash gives them and then maybe a little bit extra. I am experimenting right now , that's all. Any suggestions would be great. I have my vision for how I want this business to be and I am beginning to put some steps into action to take it there.

ONR is a good option for your campaign. A couple of gallons of water that doesnt need rinsing is a good option. For real lightly dirty cars, you can use spray and wipe. Those are your two options as far as eco friendly advertising go.

RTexasF
07-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Yet another vote for Poorboy's Spray & Wipe. It is a pleasure to use on all surfaces of the car.