PDA

View Full Version : too much shine?

keefer7369
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
i'm new to this forum and have only been detailing for a short time, and i have a question(s)-in case the situation presents itself...

1. has anyone worked on a vehicle with a matte finish? if so, how is the integrity of the matte finish maintained-or does it solely lie within the base/clear (if clear is used on this finish)?
if paint needed any correction, is there any polishing involved-and what type of wax is used to to protect the finish yet maintain that satin look?

2. on a different note-upon completion of a detail, if a vehicle looks too wet for someone's particular taste, is there a way to tone it down to give it a more sultry finish?

hope these ?'s aren't too goofy - i just like info...

RaskyR1
07-01-2009, 08:34 PM
i'm new to this forum and have only been detailing for a short time, and i have a question(s)-in case the situation presents itself...

1. has anyone worked on a vehicle with a matte finish? if so, how is the integrity of the matte finish maintained-or does it solely lie within the base/clear (if clear is used on this finish)?
if paint needed any correction, is there any polishing involved-and what type of wax is used to to protect the finish yet maintain that satin look?

2. on a different note-upon completion of a detail, if a vehicle looks too wet for someone's particular taste, is there a way to tone it down to give it a more sultry finish?

Is there even such a thing?

Garry Dean
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Is there even such a thing?

No way!

67Customs
07-01-2009, 08:42 PM
On matte finished, there isn't much you can do other than wash it. You can't polish it and you can't really wax it. You could use something like Duragloss #951, but that would add some shine to it negating the whole matte look. There isn't really anything I know of that you can put on matte finishes.

To get a matte shine, you can either have a mixed matte base/clear or you can spray a matte clear over any color you want.

ryandamartini
07-01-2009, 08:47 PM
who likes a matte finish on their car O.o;;

wisemonkey
07-01-2009, 09:24 PM
never too much shine

keefer7369
07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
i knew i was in the right place to get a straight-up answer...i heard it said that "no question is a dumb question". so, i thought i would indulge my couriousity...

Rsurfer
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
if a vehicle looks too wet for someone's particular taste, is there a way to tone it down to give it a more sultry finish?
Is that a joke. We spend big bucks and sweat to get that wet look.

Girn
07-02-2009, 01:25 AM
there is a way.. polish it till there is no clearcoat left

Blackthorn One
07-02-2009, 05:13 AM
I think he is talking about that matte black trim around windows. There was always a debate about whether to use wax or vinyl dressing.

67Customs
07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I think he is talking about that matte black trim around windows. There was always a debate about whether to use wax or vinyl dressing.
I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure he talking about a matte painted vehicle...

Nothing about what he says leads me to believe he is talking about matte black trim around windows.

RaskyR1
07-02-2009, 01:33 PM

I thought he was talking about normal paint on a car, since it was after all a new question and not an extention of the 1st...I could also be wrong too. :D

keefer7369
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
ok, let me make myself clear - to me personally, the wetter the better.
but, i'm noticeing some newer vehicles seem to have a finish that's somewhere between gloss and matte...like, to enhance the style of the vehicle. i've seen some acura's - caddies - porsche - bentley's, and others sporting this "in-between" look.
as a detailer, i want to be able to hang with all the different finishes...

perrydel
07-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Good question. I have a black satin paint on my G8 hood. have you found any info on keeping it maintained ?