PDA

View Full Version : New to serious detailing!

etang789
07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum!

So 2 of my car needs to some serious detail work on it, one is a 2006 Tornado Red Golf GTI and a 1993 British Racing Green Mazda MX5.

After shopping around here in Hong Kong, it will cost me about $1000 HK dollar for each car to have it detail at a decent shop( which is so so in my standard). So that will cost me around 2k to have a so so result using so so products and I will have to go back and have them polish/wax in a few months time again... So I have been thinking since I was the cars myself all the time why dont I step up the game and get some real polish/wax products/equipments...

Last year I wax my GTI with Mother's three step liquid wax products... A lot of work so so result, and didnt last long... so gonna ditch the Mothers products , and so I have been thinking to get a Meguiars G220 this year a long with some nice polish and wax...

I have done some research, here is my list...

Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner (Been using for over a year, love it thou not as good as Zymol soap i used before but a lot cheaper)
Meguiars G220 (can get locally)
Meguiars W-8006 (can get locally)
Meguiars W-9006 (can get locally)
Menzerna PO85RD (need to get from UK or US)
Menzerna PO106FA (need to get from UK or US)

Still trying to deciede on a LSP, want something super easy to work with and last super long in the humid/wet/hot climate here in HK
I read that Collinite 915 is great, but its a paste wax... thinking a lazy person I am I think I should use a sealant which would be easy to work with ( using a G220 to help would be great) and last long

Im a total newbie in using any power tools to polish/wax my car, any help or suggestion for me?

Emile
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Autogeek.net has lots of polishing videos online. Watch all the videos and learn as much information as you can.

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant are both liquid paint sealants that are easy to apply and buff off, and they look great and last for a long time.

etang789
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Autogeek.net has lots of polishing videos online. Watch all the videos and learn as much information as you can.

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant are both liquid paint sealants that are easy to apply and buff off, and they look great and last for a long time.

Thanks for the quick response any comments on my choice of Menzerna polish?

I read many places that my Tornado Red is very difficult to fix the swirls...

ryandamartini
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum!

So 2 of my car needs to some serious detail work on it, one is a 2006 Tornado Red Golf GTI and a 1993 British Racing Green Mazda MX5.

After shopping around here in Hong Kong, it will cost me about $1000 HK dollar for each car to have it detail at a decent shop( which is so so in my standard). So that will cost me around 2k to have a so so result using so so products and I will have to go back and have them polish/wax in a few months time again... So I have been thinking since I was the cars myself all the time why dont I step up the game and get some real polish/wax products/equipments...

Last year I wax my GTI with Mother's three step liquid wax products... A lot of work so so result, and didnt last long... so gonna ditch the Mothers products , and so I have been thinking to get a Meguiars G220 this year a long with some nice polish and wax...

I have done some research, here is my list...

Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner (Been using for over a year, love it thou not as good as Zymol soap i used before but a lot cheaper)
Meguiars G220 (can get locally)
Meguiars W-8006 (can get locally)
Meguiars W-9006 (can get locally)
Menzerna PO85RD (need to get from UK or US)
Menzerna PO106FA (need to get from UK or US)

Still trying to deciede on a LSP, want something super easy to work with and last super long in the humid/wet/hot climate here in HK
I read that Collinite 915 is great, but its a paste wax... thinking a lazy person I am I think I should use a sealant which would be easy to work with ( using a G220 to help would be great) and last long

Im a total newbie in using any power tools to polish/wax my car, any help or suggestion for me?

Nothing is going to beat the Klasse Twins in durability.

dublifecrisis
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
VW paint is typically hard. so whether it's red or black magic pearl, it will take a stronger pad/polish combo or addl passes or both to polish out all the swirls. If you're taking the easy way out on LSP (not using a paste) don't think you can do that with the polishing using a random orbital polisher. Be patient, do it right, then do your best to keep the swirls out by being meticulous with your wash regimen and general upkeep. It's a small car with generally easy to work with panels (not a lot of edges and contours etc). The front bumber is really the only place with small painted sections.

Go with menzerna super intensive polish and any of the finishing polishes in that same lineup.

As for LSP, the four star and wolfgang are 2 great choices. I've never used them but read plenty of supporting evidence from the pros and amateurs on this forum. You could top the sealant with a wax of your choice. Even a spray wax applied once or twice a month then re apply the sealant every 3-4 months.

etang789
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
VW paint is typically hard. so whether it's red or black magic pearl, it will take a stronger pad/polish combo or addl passes or both to polish out all the swirls. If you're taking the easy way out on LSP (not using a paste) don't think you can do that with the polishing using a random orbital polisher. Be patient, do it right, then do your best to keep the swirls out by being meticulous with your wash regimen and general upkeep. It's a small car with generally easy to work with panels (not a lot of edges and contours etc). The front bumber is really the only place with small painted sections.

Go with menzerna super intensive polish and any of the finishing polishes in that same lineup.

As for LSP, the four star and wolfgang are 2 great choices. I've never used them but read plenty of supporting evidence from the pros and amateurs on this forum. You could top the sealant with a wax of your choice. Even a spray wax applied once or twice a month then re apply the sealant every 3-4 months.

so you suggesting,

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (PO83Q) - Which pads to go with this polish?
Menzerna PO85RD
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

dublifecrisis
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Lake country white polishing pads in 5.5 inch and SIP as a starting point. Check for swirls. If swirls still present, switch to a 5.5 inch orange light cutting pad using SIP. Repeat if necessary. 85RD with either a black or white lake country pad. wolfgang sealant by hand.
Use a bright light source to inspect the paint as you test to see which combo works best-particularly at the starting point. if the swirls/imperfections are mild, the polishing pad and SIP should correct most of it using the right process (SLOW moving passes with the machine at it's highest speed using enough pressure to slow the rotation). The menzerna polishes have decent working time so you should literally polish a 2X2 foot section for 3-4 minutes until the polish is almost invisible. Toward then end of that section you can drop the speed down to 3-4 and ease up the pressure for a couple final passes. Wipe the residue with a clean MF towel and check the paint with a bright light source behind you. Move your head slowly and let the light reflection move across the surface. If it's like POW! then move on.

<goes for a fresh bud light>

etang789
07-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Lake country white polishing pads in 5.5 inch and SIP as a starting point. Check for swirls. If swirls still present, switch to a 5.5 inch orange light cutting pad using SIP. Repeat if necessary. 85RD with either a black or white lake country pad. wolfgang sealant by hand.
Use a bright light source to inspect the paint as you test to see which combo works best-particularly at the starting point. if the swirls/imperfections are mild, the polishing pad and SIP should correct most of it using the right process (SLOW moving passes with the machine at it's highest speed using enough pressure to slow the rotation). The menzerna polishes have decent working time so you should literally polish a 2X2 foot section for 3-4 minutes until the polish is almost invisible. Toward then end of that section you can drop the speed down to 3-4 and ease up the pressure for a couple final passes. Wipe the residue with a clean MF towel and check the paint with a bright light source behind you. Move your head slowly and let the light reflection move across the surface. If it's like POW! then move on.

<goes for a fresh bud light>

Thanks for the advice!

here is my revised list, Do I need a new backing plate if I get the Meguiars G220 seems like it comes with 6" backing plate...whats the reason of going to a 5.5" pad?

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 83Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, Menzerna PO 83 , Mernzerna PO85RD 3.02 (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-super-intensive-polish.html)
Menzerna Polish PO85RDMenzerna Polish PO85RD, Mernzerna 85rd, Menzerna po85rd (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-finish-po85rd.html)
Collinite 915 or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Dual Action CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pad Kit Dual Action CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/ceramic-polishing-kit.html)