PDA

View Full Version : Dusting a black car

Mydnyghte
06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I've been using a California Duster for awhile now, but I have always had to follow with a QD because of the oily residue that gets left behind. I've kept this thing wrapped in newspaper for days on end trying to get rid of the excess oil, but to no avail. I want to know if there is any other type of duster that I could use that works as well as the CD without the oil. Any help would rock:righton:

agpatel
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Look for a lambs wool duster, you just lightly spin it on the surface the the static charge picks up the dist. Zymol has a great one, but it does cost a little. I think there are a few other good ones out there, dont know if AG has one.

Mydnyghte
06-30-2009, 03:10 PM
That Zymol duster looks good. Did a quick search on it and it doesn't sound like it can be cleaned though, unless its just a matter of vigorous shaking like the CD.:confused:

agpatel
06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I have read from people who have it that they cleaned it by hand using warm water and a little MF wash. Let me see if I can not find that information somewhere. I know Rubbish Boys has a lambs wool duster but he is over in the UK.

Mydnyghte
06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Just saw you live in Raleigh, I live in Greensboro:cheers:

I was wondering if just a little water rinsing and air drying wouldn't do the trick. I appreciate the input, I always look forward to adding a new tool to the detail bag:D

ScottB
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
While I dont use a duster much, the MF version works better on black because the paraffin wax on strands does seem to transfer to paint. I rub the MF one back and forth with hands before use and just enough static to remove dust.

j_anderson_23
06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
zymol one is 39....mmmm

agpatel
06-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Just saw you live in Raleigh, I live in Greensboro:cheers:

I was wondering if just a little water rinsing and air drying wouldn't do the trick. I appreciate the input, I always look forward to adding a new tool to the detail bag:D

I did a Co-Op in Greensboro were I was in a went between college and work (worked as a design engineer at TIMCO at the airport). I finished that last year and just in college at NC State now.

Zymol one i have read alot of good stuff about on another detailing board. The MF ones w/o the wax could work as well.

Mydnyghte
06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Which MF dusters are yous guys using?

agpatel
06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Carrand Microfiber MAX Pure Shine Car Duster, auto duster, microfiber duster (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-duster.html)

That is one that I have used. Did not get it from AG but think i got it from a parts store under the AutoSpa name.

jdrumstik
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Lol, I had the same problem with my duster. It is supposivley oiled because it will pick up the dirt, but once it gets used a few times it is too dirty to be used and it leaves oil residue all over the car and doesn't dust very well. I just washed mine in the Washing machine and it works fine. But personally, I think a clean fluffy MF towel works better.

BenzDetailer
06-30-2009, 07:45 PM
+1 for the Carrand - it is a great value, High Quality Duster. I have removed the cover and washed it about 40 times and it is just like new.

I have even put it through the dryer on low heat along with other Microfiber towles and it comes out perfect!

Mydnyghte
06-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I thought I had remembered seeing a gray duster similar to the CD design! You guys are awesome, I will give that one a try and see how that goes.Im the MAN

christian900se
06-30-2009, 09:01 PM
So would these dusters potentially marr soft black paint? I normally just gently slide a microfiber towel around my car and that gets rid of most of the dust. Is the Zym*l one white?

agpatel
06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes the zymol one is a white lambs wool duster. Google search it and you will find many pics about it and a few reviews.