PDA

View Full Version : Recommend products for my new truck!

Ack
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
My new "Silver Sky Metallic" Toyota Tundra is being delivered tomorrow. I'd really like to get off to a good start with protecting the paint.

This truck will be my daily driver, and I'll also be doing some light off roading with it along with work and outdoor recreation (driving through tall grass, brush, gravel and dirt roads... loading things into the bed, kids and dogs climbing in and out, you get the idea). I realize that with this type of treatment it's not going to stay in mint condition. I don't mind a few scratches, but I'd like to minimize them.

I don't own a polisher, I'd be doing everything by hand. I can't see myself taking the time to wax or seal more than every 6 months or so, maybe a little more often if the product is really quick and easy to put on.

My washing regimen will consist of hitting it with the high-pressure rinse wand at a coin-op carwash when it gets muddy, and doing a gentle hand-wash (2 bucket method, good soap) every month or so. Plus spot cleaning with quick detailer any time I notice bird bombs or other contaminants.

I'm much more concerned with durability and minimizing paint chips and scratches than with looks. I don't care about a "deep liquid shine" or any of that, just want to protect the paint and keep the truck looking decent.

In summary, I'm looking for recommendations for a wax and/or sealant with the following properties in order of importance:

--Maximum scratch and chip resistance
--Lasts as close as possible to 6 months between applications
--Quick and easy to apply by hand

Looks, luster, shine, etc. aren't as important, although obviously are a plus.

Recommendations?

ryandamartini
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
My new "Silver Sky Metallic" Toyota Tundra is being delivered tomorrow. I'd really like to get off to a good start with protecting the paint.

This truck will be my daily driver, and I'll also be doing some light off roading with it along with work and outdoor recreation (driving through tall grass, brush, gravel and dirt roads... loading things into the bed, kids and dogs climbing in and out, you get the idea). I realize that with this type of treatment it's not going to stay in mint condition. I don't mind a few scratches, but I'd like to minimize them.

I don't own a polisher, I'd be doing everything by hand. I can't see myself taking the time to wax or seal more than every 6 months or so, maybe a little more often if the product is really quick and easy to put on.

My washing regimen will consist of hitting it with the high-pressure rinse wand at a coin-op carwash when it gets muddy, and doing a gentle hand-wash (2 bucket method, good soap) every month or so. Plus spot cleaning with quick detailer any time I notice bird bombs or other contaminants.

I'm much more concerned with durability and minimizing paint chips and scratches than with looks. I don't care about a "deep liquid shine" or any of that, just want to protect the paint and keep the truck looking decent.

In summary, I'm looking for recommendations for a wax and/or sealant with the following properties in order of importance:

--Maximum scratch and chip resistance
--Lasts as close as possible to 6 months between applications
--Quick and easy to apply by hand

Looks, luster, shine, etc. aren't as important, although obviously are a plus.

Recommendations?

I dont mean to be rude and I understand getting a truck to be a truck and whatnot but if your doing this and not wanting to learn to polish, no matter what you protect the truck with, the paint is going to get torn up. If you play with your toys, you should take care of them.. But I will answer your question.

As far as scratch resistance, An investment for you might want to get a clear bra installed by an authorized installer to make sure it is done right. This is the best protection for the front of your truck against branches and whatnot slapping against it.

Now for hard sealants, you would have a couple of options. But for the strongest and longest lasting protection, I recommend the Klasse Kit.
Klasse Kit, klasse car kit, klasse car care kit (http://www.autogeek.net/klassekit.html)

I know you are against it, but just a sealant will not care completely for your truck. You should really look into a porter cable kit if you are going to be hard on your truck. My father is in construction and he has just gotten into polishing. He has a F250 SD 4x4 and really uses it. He polishes it twice a year now and you really cannot tell what he uses it for. Just for consideration.

So in conclusion:

Clear Bra the front maybe.

Clay before sealant.

Klasse Twins for 6-12 month protection

Really consider the pros/cons of getting a small polishing set. The regular scratches you get from tall grass and trees on the paint are easily removed by the PC and some polish. I just did my father's truck in spots for him over the weekend and removed alot of marks.

Look forward to seeing pics!

Ack
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the tips. Once the truck gets scratched up some I'll probably either take it in to someone to polish once a year or so, or just buy a PC and learn to do it myself. I have no idea how to do it and am nervous about messing up the paint if I do it myself.

I'll check out the Klasse products and the clear bra.

Any more suggestions anyone?

Meghan
06-30-2009, 01:23 PM
For what you are looking for Ryan is right Klasse is for you.

ryandamartini
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the tips. Once the truck gets scratched up some I'll probably either take it in to someone to polish once a year or so, or just buy a PC and learn to do it myself. I have no idea how to do it and am nervous about messing up the paint if I do it myself.

I'll check out the Klasse products and the clear bra.

Any more suggestions anyone?

I think you would be more than capable of polishing your own toys :) The porter cable is very easy to use and is a great workhorse.

Check this out:
Detailing Video, How to use the Porter Cable 7424 7336 polisher (http://paintcarendetailing.com/pc_video.html)

Look over autogeek's own dual action polisher guide and there is a video at the bottom:
Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, (http://autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html)

Good Luck!! :buffing:

ScottB
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
For what you are looking for Ryan is right Klasse is for you.

:goodpost::cheers:

you can always top with twins with a Spray Wax as wanted to add more wetness and depth.

Emile
07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Ease of application and durability do NOT go hand in hand.

I suggest starting with applying a coat of Optimum Poli-Seal by hand. It cleans, polishes, and seals in one step and it is insanely easy to buff off. Most of the product usually just gets absorbed into the paint....it's actually really strange. And then just top it with Optimum Car Wax, which is a really durable spray wax that can last up to 5 months.

So every month when you wash your car, just take the extra 15-30 minutes to apply the Optimum Car Wax to your car again. After 6 months, re-apply the Poli-Seal. Affordable, durable, and easy to use. Done and done.