PDA

View Full Version : Rim Paint Help

former86camaro
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I need some assistance with painting my rims. I have sanded them using a combination of 350 Grit then 800 Grit paper. I applied my Dupli color primer. I wet sanded the primer smooth. I then applied the dupli color rim paint.

Here is my issue, some areas are shiny and smooth other areas appear to be wrinkled and have a texture.

If I wet sand it smooth, can I then clear it and wet sand the clear coats until the desired shine is accomplished or do I need to correct the paint, and keep applying until I get a smooth paint coat that does not require a 2000 grit wet sand.

It almost seems like the paint is tossing out flakes instead of a wet liquid.

howejt
06-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Is the nozzle atomizing correctly? And shaken very well before and during painting as you go along? Are you applying even, multiple light misting type of coats with some dry time in between?

What are you doing after sanding the primer, like using any sort of degreaser or prep agent/cleaner? Water needs to evaporate and "bake" out of the primer if you are actually wet sanding them. I would just sand dry and use a tack cloth or similar between layers.

To me, it sounds like possible contamination in the surface or perhaps an issue with the paint mixture in the can, or perhaps just too much or too little paint around the rim. Spray cans are just not the best for laying even paint if the nozzle isn't high quality, and there sure is a wide range of ones out there from good to bad. Even though spray can paints seem to be pretty forgiving, the mixture could be off a bit depending on environmental conditionals for optimal results. At least down here in Florida, the high humidity is certainly a factor.

With metallics, I think you would be better off getting the paint as flat as possible first, especially if the orange peel is noticeable with fine dimples. Even with a smooth layer of clear on top, the paint may appear splotchy in certain light because of the underlying issue. And it will take a fair amount of clear to cover up severe orange peel and allow enough margin for it to be sanded smooth.

As far as the bad areas go, I'd sand them down in particular and go around the entire wheel to scuff things up, then try spraying them once more. If it's a contamination of some sort affecting the paint, it will likely come back as the paint penetrates and dries again. Assuming that happens, then everything below is suspect and you will likely need to strip the entire rim and start over, or just strip the bad section (and build it back up).

LuxuryMobile
06-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I have been researching this topic for the past month as I may give it a shot. But I have seen more guys do it without primer then with primer. Dont know if this could be this issue but I do agree with the above that maybe your surface wasnt perfectly clean, humidity, etc. Make sure you shake the rattle can for a solid 2-3 minutes. Like any painting project or detail job, prep is almost the most important part.

Maybe post some pictures. I have seen guys tack cloth after primer but havent seen anyone sand the primer unless you also used bondo to fix curb rash or something. Hope you figure it out.