PDA

View Full Version : Quick Sealant Question

kenzo42
06-27-2009, 02:18 AM
1) Does a sealant brand need to match the polish brand?

2) Is wax not needed? Rather it only enhances the luster of the paint, whereas sealant will do most of the protection?

3) Wolfgang is pretty expensive. Anything cheaper than WG sealant that you can recommend? Duragloss 105?

I'll be using SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 w/ LC CCS pads (orange, white, blue) w/ a PC7336.

A4 1.8tqm
06-27-2009, 05:15 AM
1) No, polish/sealant brands do not need to match. After polishing you should wipe down the vehicle with a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol to distilled water mixed in a spray bottle to remove any traces of polish. This process is just like using an instant detailer.

2) No, wax is not necessary. A good sealant will both look good and protect against the elements. But don't think wax is just for looks, Wax gives you "sacrificial" protection. As in your coat of wax wears away first, it's worth it. If your budget is tight try Griot's Garage Carnauba Wax Stick, S100 Carnauba Paste Wax or any Poorboy's World Natty's Paste Wax.

3) I've only used the Klasse twins and WG DGPS 3.0... I want to recommend either of them. :cheers:

Blackfire
06-27-2009, 07:42 AM
I have a question.

Why do some suggest that the IPA wipe down is required and the instructions for use say nothing about removing any polish residue, besides buffing it clean.?

I'll be using the WG Polish Enhancer and the WG Deep Gloss Sealant. The product doesn't suggest any IPA wipe.

It gets confusing.

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

Who initiated this practice of IPA wipe down? Is it required? What happens if it's not done?

Just asking. Learning.

I bought the WG series and for the performance you get, the price is not expensive. Just my take on it.

ScottB
06-27-2009, 09:06 AM
you can always mix lines, using a polish from one and a sealant or wax from another. Most lines however are designed to work well in unison. If you are looking for a cheaper sealant specifically, likely the Duragloss line or Poorboys is going to offer the value you need. I much prefer Wolfgang and Four Star Sealant and feel worth the cost, but this is a personal preference and observation.