PDA

View Full Version : What should I use on my wheels? Polished LIp

Pages : [1] 2

05xrunner
06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok so I have these wheels MSR 093 wheels. As you can see they have a polished lip..Yet that seems very very soft. No matter what i use on it seems like it causes some hairline scratches on it. So what kinda polish would everyone suggest for this. The black part is easy as its just paint so I was thinking of getting the DP wheel wax for it. I have been trying to keep them clean as I got a california wheel duster and I dust the brake dust off them after everytime I park it...I just dont know what to use with this polished lip as this is first time I had wheels like this
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/05Xrunner/Xrunner/JOND1101.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/05Xrunner/Xrunner/JOND1093.jpg

Finemess
06-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Nice looking Runner. I have almost the same wheel in AR, and was wondering the same thing. I use Mothers cleaner wax on mine and they clean up nice. Does not last any time thou.

loudog2
06-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Do you mean to get those scratches out? Or to shine and seal them?

05xrunner
06-27-2009, 07:52 AM
just to shine and seal them and something that wont cause anymore scratches...Yea right now I have been using my Wolfgang Fuzion on them but I know that wont last long. I dont think I could get the scratches out that are in them now...it just seems like to soft of a metal.

ScottB
06-27-2009, 09:04 AM
you need to find out if lip is coated or uncoated. This will decide if you can use metal (uncoated) or paint (coated) polishes. You can then use DP Wheel Sealant or Poorboys Wheel Sealant over them to protect from brake dust and elements.

05xrunner
06-27-2009, 09:08 AM
this is all I see
Brand
MSR Wheels (http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/MSR-Wheels/)Manufacturer's Part Number
0932-2812Part Type
Index of / (http://Wheels)Product Line
MSR Style 093 Wheels (http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/MSR-Wheels/Product-Line/MSR-Style-093-Wheels/?autoview=SKU)Summit Racing Part Number
AEW-0932-2812Rim Diameter (in)
20 in.Rim Width (in)
8.50 in.Backspacing (in)
5.633 in.Offset (mm)
+24.00mmWheel Material
AluminumWheel Finish
BlackWheel Construction
1-pieceBeadlock Included
NoBeadlock Functional
NoLug Nut Seat Style
Conical seat - 60 degreeHub Centric
NoCenter Cap Included
YesLoad Rating (lbs)
1,580 lbs.Valve Stems Included
NoQuantity
Sold individually.Notes
Natural lip.

says Natural Lip...dont know if that means coated or uncoated

ScottB
06-27-2009, 09:11 AM
it sounds uncoated, but I would email the manufacturer prior to damaging them. Uncoated wheels, aluminum wheels, are always in a state of decay. As such they turn milky and need constant attention.

LuxuryMobile
06-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Another suggestion might be to stay away from "dusting" them off after every trip. Small road particles, rocks, salt, etc. might be dragging across your wheels after every trip you make if your "dusting" them off. Not trying to bash your technique I just feel it may be something to consider.

Blackthorn One
06-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Another suggestion might be to stay away from "dusting" them off after every trip. Small road particles, rocks, salt, etc. might be dragging across your wheels after every trip you make if your "dusting" them off. Not trying to bash your technique I just feel it may be something to consider.
I agree. Brake dust is way too abrasive to risk touching any wheels you really care about unless you know they are absolutely clean, and if you DO clean them, to clean them right, using water, a wheel cleaner like Griot's Garage, and a boar's hair brush or something. Foaming them would be an even better idea. Just use free flowing water to rinse them and aim the water carefully so that way the bodywork isn't splashed.
I find it difficult to believe that the lips aren't clear coated on a wheel that is already painted black. I wouldn't doubt that the whole wheel is clear coated even over the black.
At any rate, I would just clean them carefully with a proper wheel cleaner, and then put 3 coats of wheel sealant on them, and then wash them once or twice a week. If you MUST wash them in between, a spray and wipe like Poorboy's would be far safer than using a wheel duster. Brake dust on wheels is just too abrasive to risk cleaning them dry. I use a car duster on my paint if the car is just a little dusty, lightly, before I finish off with a QD and MF, but I have to say that a wheel duster is a bad idea.

05xrunner
06-27-2009, 03:58 PM
well I guess I should mention..this is not a daily driver..and it only goes on short short trips and sits in the garage. So when i dust them off it was usually after only a short drive somewhere....I havnt had any problems with the black paint..its just the lip seems to get scratched even when I wipe it down with an instant detailer and a cobra towel

sal329
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Duragloss 501 on the lip and wheels

gwilo
07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I am looking into this too.

The products I have found that say they are save with Alum Wheels are

1Z Einszett Wheel Cleaner “Feigen Reiniger”
Types of Wheels

Having a set of clean stylish wheels has been a top priority lately. Wheels on the market today are made from a variety of metals including forged and billet aluminum, cast metal, and finished chrome. Knowing what your wheels are made of is the first step to properly maintaining them.

Chemical Guys WHEEL AND RIM CLEANER-PREMIUM BLUE
Premium Blue unlike many alternative products dissolves grime and brake dust without damaging your chrome and alloy wheels and rims. It's a highly effective wheel cleaner that can also double up as a high quality degreaser to safely remove brake dust, oxidization, dirt oil and grime. Made from a unique non Hydrofluoric Acid formula.

Duragloss #821 AWC (All Wheel Cleaner)
s formulated to clean all wheels. Removes brake dust, road film, oil and grease. Safe to use on all types of wheels including clear coated, painted and highly polished.

Pinnacle Gel Wheel Cleaner
Safe enough for all wheels, including aluminum, painted, polished, anodized, and clear coated! Safe to use on sensitive billet wheels.

Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner
Rest assured that Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner is safe to use on all kinds of wheels—including aluminum, painted, polished, anodized, clear coated and billet wheels.

Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner
Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner is made from premium biodegradable ingredients and is safe for all types of wheels.

Simple Green PRO M
Simple Green Pro M removes fingerprints, water spots, streaks, and food & grease marks from metal surfaces including aluminum, chrome, brass, stainless steel, and more.

I have used the regular Simple Green on my painted rims and it work great but it marks alum.

05xrunner
07-29-2009, 12:49 AM
I think you missed what I am asking..I am trying to find what I can use on the lip of it to try and polish away the marring on them. and it seems mag alum polish from mothers does not work

gwilo
07-29-2009, 01:38 AM
By marring do you mean light scratches or discoloration?

Scratches would need to buff them out with a buffing wheels on a drill.
Do a Google search on Aluminum Polishing Kit (think Black Emery, Brown Tripoli, and White Diamond polishing compounds).

If discoloration .... the polish kit should help if it is not to deep (ie surface)

02nissanISR
07-29-2009, 05:32 AM
When you tried the mothers did the cloth turn black as you wiped the lip? If not then the wheels are clear coated and an aluminum polish won't work, as those polishes are typically designed for bare metal. I think I've heard other people say they have used various compounds on clear coated wheels like you would use on your paint.