PDA

View Full Version : Detailed my rims

Tex Star Detail
09-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, I decided to pull rims off today and give them a good detailing. I pulled off the front 2 and got them cleaned, polished and sealed. Cleaned my wheel wells as well. Then it started raining, of course. The only time I am able to detail out my truck, it rains. Either that day or the next.......
Being a mobile detailer, I need to keep my truck in top shape, but lately, it has been like the plumber with the leaky faucet....

Pics..

BEFORE......(tons of brake dust)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/texstardetail/rims001.jpg

AFTER....(Still some brake dust...I should have clayed the inside)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/texstardetail/rims004.jpg

BEFORE....(average brake dust and road grime....pretty dull as well)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/texstardetail/rims002.jpg

AFTER....(cleaned, clayed, polished, and sealed (x2)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/texstardetail/rims003.jpg

-Cleaned with Meguiars Wheel Brightener, cut 1:3 on the insides of rims, and cut 1:4 on front of rims.
-Clayed with Poorboys Clay
-Polished with Poorboys SSR 1 via hand with MF towel.
-Sealed with Poorboys Wheel Sealant (x2)

aceshigh73
09-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Looks great man!!!

Question... did you put wheel sealant on the inside of the wheels as well? Or is that overkill?

Tex Star Detail
09-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Looks great man!!!

Question... did you put wheel sealant on the inside of the wheels as well? Or is that overkill?

I did put sealant on the inside.....2 coats....

belcherm58
09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Meguiars Wheel Brightner is a fantastic product and economical when used
as suggested. I have found though that once clean and sealed that it would
remove the wheel sealant faster. I use the carwash soap now until they get
nasty again. Wheel sealants last much longer now.

belcherm58
09-08-2006, 08:32 PM
I did put sealant on the inside.....2 coats....

I assume that the inside of the wheels are fine finshed also. My after market
wheels are very rough finished on the inside. I do not think the wheel sealant would help.

belcherm58
09-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Chris, How is the noise on those BFG Rugged Trails? I have been looking
at those for my Tacoma.

joe.p
09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
The rims look real nice Chris. Your dilution rate is 1 oz WB 3 parts water ?

btw,The rims are the excact ones i did on the Trail Blazer..Glad to see you didn't have any problems..

Tex Star Detail
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
belcherm58- Yes, they were smooth on the insides. They were also rough up front, on the star looking part....It was a paint to clean...
As for th tires, Ilike them, they are quiet, even though they are bald nad dry rotting...LOL I will be buying new ones soon....I think i will be going back the same....I say go for them!

Joe- Yes.....3 parts water and 1 part WB. then 4:1 on the fronts.
Nope, no problems....just a few slow downs....tar

belcherm58
09-08-2006, 09:26 PM
I know the the new Tacoma's have them. I have Goodyear Wranglers and
they sing a tune on the road. They are not really aggressive tread but make a
lot of noise. I use to go off road a lot in other trucks that I owned. I had mud
tires and expected a lot noise. I do not go off road much now, I want a tire
that will do good in snow andnot sound like a steel wheel rolling down the road..

belcherm58
09-08-2006, 09:37 PM
I know the the new Tacoma's have them. I have Goodyear Wranglers and
they sing a tune on the road. They are not really aggressive tread but make a
lot of noise. I use to go off road a lot in other trucks that I owned. I had mud
tires and expected a lot noise. I do not go off road much now, I want a tire
that will do good in snow andnot sound like a steel wheel rolling down the road..

joe.p
09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
belcherm58-
As for th tires, Ilike them, they are quiet, even though they are bald nad dry rotting...LOL

Joe- Yes.....3 parts water and 1 part WB. then 4:1 on the fronts.
Nope, no problems....just a few slow downs....tarChris i noticed my neighbors tires where dry rotting too. The tires are the original with 50,000 miles on them. Seems to be a little early to be dry rotting. Most wheels i see with dry rot are tires that have been sitting for long periods of time.

Like me, didyou find your suv a biach to detail esp the roof?

ScottB
09-09-2006, 07:32 AM
btw,The rims are the exact ones i did on the Trail Blazer..Glad to see you didn't have any problems..

When I saw these I thought of Joe immediately. I remember the lengths he went to getting them back in shape. :o

Tex Star Detail
09-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Chris i noticed my neighbors tires where dry rotting too. The tires are the original with 50,000 miles on them. Seems to be a little early to be dry rotting. Most wheels i see with dry rot are tires that have been sitting for long periods of time.

Like me, didyou find your suv a biach to detail esp the roof?

Joe......
My truck just turned 50k miles as well. I think I may have to look into the dry rotting thing before I make another purchase of these tires.....
They are good tires, but if there is a problem with them drying out, I may have to look at other brands.....

Reddwarf
09-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Tex, why dilute the Meg's Wheel Brightener?

The wheel look great. I've been thinking of taking mine off to do the same. A lot of work, no? Did you remove the wheels by hand or an air powered wrench?

Raining down south? Looks like we might get some rain here too.

Tex Star Detail
09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Tex, why dilute the Meg's Wheel Brightener?

The wheel look great. I've been thinking of taking mine off to do the same. A lot of work, no? Did you remove the wheels by hand or an air powered wrench?

Raining down south? Looks like we might get some rain here too.

Too strong, and it could cloud your rims. not sure I would ever use it straight.

I removed the wheels by hand. I would have used air, but I had my compressor stolen a few years back, and never got around to buying a new one. So, it was a little bit of work.

No rain in Killeen, I actually just arrived in Houston for the weekend, and it looks like rain. Skys are dark and cloudy, but that doesn't mean anything here in Texas....LOL