PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong

Integra-S
06-26-2009, 09:22 AM
ok so I just tried my Dewalt 849 for the first time lastnight on my car and as I was polishing the buffer started to bounce up and down or hop I'm not sure what the correct term is. Anyways like the title says what am I doing wrong? I am using kompressor pads and I did prime the pad I was using.

culinarian
06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Sounds like your product dried out.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-26-2009, 10:34 AM
It sounds like the pad gummed up which will cause your hopping. This is the only time I noticed this pads to hop. I have even tried them dry just to see what would happen and they glide right along.

Garry Dean
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
It sounds like the pad gummed up which will cause your hopping. This is the only time I noticed this pads to hop. I have even tried them dry just to see what would happen and they glide right along.

+1. Mist the pad with a quick detail spray or water and see if that helps.

Integra-S
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
+1. Mist the pad with a quick detail spray or water and see if that helps.
I did try the quick detailer and the hopping still occured. Should I try a different pad and if so what would you guy's/gal's recommend getting?

ryandamartini
06-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I did try the quick detailer and the hopping still occured. Should I try a different pad and if so what would you guy's/gal's recommend getting?

XMT Pad cleaner and a medium bristled brush.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Do not use QD to prime a pad. They do not work well with the polish. These pads do seem to gum up quickly and cause your pad hop if you over apply product. They seem to be less forgiving when you apply just slightly too much product.

Steven C
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Have tried turning down the speed and is the backing plate to big for the pad. I believe Compressor pads are 7" I believe your backing plate 5 1/2 for them. I have the pads on my Dewalt 849 used it with sealant app and removal. I had no problems had rpms @1100 .Also used on my Flex they worked great.

Integra-S
06-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Have tried turning down the speed and is the backing plate to big for the pad. I believe Compressor pads are 7" I believe your backing plate 5 1/2 for them. I have the pads on my Dewalt 849 used it with sealant app and removal. I had no problems had rpms @1100 .Also used on my Flex they worked great.

I have a 6" backing plate the Meguiar's W66. I believe I had asked Meghan (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/meghan.html) before purchasing the backing plate and pads if they would work together and she told me it would. I more than likely just need to practice more. I was reading on another forum that when using a rotary you are supposed to use an "arching" motion instead of a North to South and East to West. I don't know if that is true but from reading other post's it seemed as though going north to south and east to west was the way to polish. Does it really make that much of a difference between the two technique's?