PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys stay cool?

Pages : [1] 2

Lowprofile
06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
I am in Florida and the temperature and humidity this year is record breaking. Just wondering what some of you guys do to keep from falling out. Obviously shade and plenty of water but any special tricks or tips? I had mild heat stroke yesterday on an 8 hour detail. That sh!t is no fun. Any tips?:confused:

ScottB
06-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I often detail between 4am and 5am ... just joking. This time of year a good tent, garage, or several shady trees are needed. Keep a gallon of cold water too.

zinc02gt
06-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I keep plenty of water near by and take as many breaks as needed. I know your pain. Southeastern Alabama is pretty miserable this time of year as well.

AeroCleanse
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I've been looking in this as well. It depends if your detailing outside or in a garage. For outside I would look at a tent / canopy of some kind. For inside I would look at fan(s). Always have plenty of fluids, or take a break and go to a local gas station and buy some. I've learned the hard way that its ok to take breaks, you don't have to work constantly.

wagonproject
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Yes plenty of water! Between roofing and baling/putting hay in lofts its not a good time of year.

SATracker
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Dude! My hat is off to you guys who do this for a living. I'm a hobbiest so I do it at night, in my garage, with two floors fans blowing. Here in San Antonio we're hitting over 100 during the day, it's 90 by noon, and still in the 90's in the evening. I do what I can from 6 - 9 PM. Even then I'm sweating up a storm. When I get done I strip in the garage and walk straight to the shower.

RustyBumper
06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Dude! My hat is off to you guys who do this for a living. I'm a hobbiest so I do it at night, in my garage, with two floors fans blowing. Here in San Antonio we're hitting over 100 during the day, it's 90 by noon, and still in the 90's in the evening. I do what I can from 6 - 9 PM. Even then I'm sweating up a storm. When I get done I strip in the garage and walk straight to the shower.

You're not kidding. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and decided to wash my moms car and man did I sweat!! I couldn't wait to get done with it. The one good thing about the heat in SA is that it actually helped me during the drying process. I was done drying the car in no time.

HMFIC
06-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Last Thursday was the hottest day since 1942 here in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I personally have not detailed any cars in about a month, its to damn hot and humid for sure.

A good metal fan or 2 will help alot. Take breaks every 45 mins or so in front of the fan with an ice cold beverage of your choice. Then get back to it when you stop sweating and feel cooled down.

Blackfire
06-26-2009, 05:09 AM
Up here in Ohio, we open the garage doors and let the cool Lake Erie breeze flow through.:D

My profession is painting and when it's hot, paint is sticky, along with a body that grows weary sooner. Plenty of fluids, balanced meals, lots of fruit will help you through an 80 degree day. :)

loudog2
06-26-2009, 05:19 AM
I wanted to put a portable A/C unit in my garage. But my house association would not let me cut a small vent hole.

Garry Dean
06-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Regular breaks, shade, and water is all you can really do to stay cool here in FL!

ryandamartini
06-26-2009, 07:36 AM
I wanted to put a portable A/C unit in my garage. But my house association would not let me cut a small vent hole.

I would pay the fine! lol

@ OP: Pfft there is no really staying cool in FL this time of year. In tallahassee, its been around 100+ for about 2-3 weeks now. When out working, I drink abouut 3-4 gallons of water a day and usually I never have to take a bathroom break.

This heat is miserable.

dublifecrisis
06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Good to see you Lowprofile!!! PM me if you get a chance. I'd like to see how you've been doing.

The heat is horrible. Aside from the heat slowing you down, is the humidity having a negative effect on wax, spray wax and quick detailers? I get some bad streaking from time to time.

Chrisquickshine
06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
I've found that keeping a small wet towel on my neck actually helps a whole lot.

A4 1.8tqm
06-26-2009, 12:21 PM
+1 for cool wet towel on the neck, also a small spray bottle filled with ice water to mist yourself in front of a fan works well. Or you could go for The Sharper Image's personal cooling system.