PDA

View Full Version : Four Star Ultimate Tire Protectant Spray - your thoughts?

Emile
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
I bought this stuff on BOGO the other week and I am so indifferent about it. I don't know if you guys know but I LOVE tire shine but I HATE to spend a lot of money on it.

Seeing the Four Star Tire Spray (and the Tire Gel) on BOGO a few weeks ago or whatever, I purchased the Tire Spray. After having used it a couple of times, it spreads very easily but it is way too runny. I spray it on a tire applicator and then apply it and it runs down onto the rims too easily and it has a hard time actually soaking into the rubber, or at least giving the entire sidewall a deep black look. Even when spraying onto the applicator, the stuff just bounces off the applicator when normally my Meg's Hot Shine Tire Spray immediately sticks to the foam and starts to penetrate.

The durability seems to be better than the over-the-counter stuff as it is still trying to maintain a shiny appearance even several days later (and I do a ton of driving), but there is something a little bit weird to the look...one can tell it is not a regular OTC tire shine and that is neither bad nor good.

So I don't know...aside from a messy application, I don't know what to think yet. Did anybody jump in on the BOGO band-wagon for this stuff? Anybody else have any thoughts?

Garry Dean
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I have never used FS Tire shine, but most of their other products are good stuff.

Congrats on your 1,000th post!

Surfer
06-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Ask Scott (Killr) as he's used a bunch of Four Star products.

ScottB
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I love the Spray Wax and UPP but the rest of line is good but not great. I use a foam wax applicator, shake very well, and rebuff within 10 minutes after using the tire product. It does seem more durable than other water based dressings like 303 Protectant. I too wish it was more of a lotion (Optibond) in design.

Emile
06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Wow I would hav thought that 303 Aero would be the most durable tire shine product. I applied some if the 4Star to my dad's car and I'll be watching it closely. I drive off-road too frequently for work to accurately measure a tire shine's durability. Dirt and gravel are too hard on the initial high gloss shine.

ScottB
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Wow I would hav thought that 303 Aero would be the most durable tire shine product. I applied some if the 4Star to my dad's car and I'll be watching it closely. I drive off-road too frequently for work to accurately measure a tire shine's durability. Dirt and gravel are too hard on the initial high gloss shine.

I base tire dressing durability upon its ability to withstand water / puddles / rain and most water based dressings seem to fail quickly.

Emile
06-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the post, killr. I was about to order some Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright but now I'll skip it since it's water based.

For what it's worth, I washed the G35 last night and I applied the Four Star Tire Spray, this time using an S.M. Arnold round yellow foam tire dresser applicator. It went on SO much better, almost no residue at all, and I was able to get a nice and even coat on all four tires.

ScottB
06-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I actually really like Poorboys Bright and Bold as quite glossy and stands out. It does however not do well in rain. Stoners More Shine Less Time is similar in look and lasts longer but an aerosol. I find Optibond from Optimum to be heavy matte with some light gloss, and lasts a reasonable amount of time in these rain storms. I am trying the Ultima product next ....