PDA

View Full Version : Greasy leather

StiCy
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I need to know how to remove the greasy, glossy look from certain parts of the interior. Take a look at this head-rest. The leather part looks matte, but the the fake leather part looks greasy. Its really sticky. I also tried Z1 Deep plastic/vinyl cleaner and it did not take it off. I think I used too much Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner on it in the past, now it won't come off.

I have tried chemical guys green clean 3:1, let it dwell and wiped it off. Still won't come off.

Heres how it looks now:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/cyconley/Detailing/DSCN5632.jpg
Heres how the leather part looks and how I want the rest to look:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/cyconley/Detailing/DSCN5635.jpg

Emile
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM
You asked this on Detailing Bliss already! But I'm glad you brought your question here because I don't like posting on other detailing forums.

Optimum Power Clean at 3:1 (3 parts water, 1 part Power Clean). Maybe if your headrest has so heavily absorbed the Gold Class Conditioner through repeated applications over time, you may have to use Power Clean at full strength, but I doubt it.

Are you still looking for an over-the-counter solution?

StiCy
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
This is only 2 applications. OTC would be great, but I could order somthing else if needed.

Emile
06-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Windex Auto can be purchased at a local Walmart for $4 + tax. Based on the label, it looks like it is more for glass, but it is horrible on glass, works nicely on everything else on the interior.

Try spraying some of that stuff....use or pickup an interior/upholstery brush and work the product in with the brush and then buff out with a towel. It may take several applications until you finally get all of it out. Lexol Leather Cleaner Spray may also work but I'm not sure how powerful the stuff is.

Finally, the old-fashioned Lexol Leather Cleaner and water may just be the final ticket. Use any applicator pad and work the leather cleaner/water mixture into the leather. After working the product in, just take a microfiber towel and buff the headrest dry. If none of these work, I'm not sure what will.

charliehaley
06-25-2009, 03:47 PM
That is strange. Just about any apc agitated with a stiff brush should take that off. Have you tried spraying on your apc then scrubbing it really well before you pipe with a microfiber?

ScottB
06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I have used the Connollys Leather Cleaner with nice success too, you do have to add water as concentrated but offers a nice leather cleaner.

StiCy
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Could I use a Meguiar's All-Surface Interior Brush on it?

StiCy
06-27-2009, 12:03 AM
OK got some LA's Awesome apc. Tried different dilutions, starting with 16:1 and working up to 3:1. I would spray it on agitate it, let it sit for 2 minutes, scrub it with the Meguiars brush, and then wipe with a terry towel. After multiple applications it will still not clean off the Meguiars Gold class. Do I need a stronger APC?

Emile
06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm starting to think that there is more to this story since it's only one headrest that is still the issue. Meguiar's Gold Class isn't THAT hard to remove.

Tell us what else you used to condition that headrest.

StiCy
06-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm starting to think that there is more to this story since it's only one headrest that is still the issue. Meguiar's Gold Class isn't THAT hard to remove.

Tell us what else you used to condition that headrest.

More than what in the picture is effected by the Gold Class. After I got the car I tried the Gold Class wipes and they didn't work well. So, I got the spray bottle. Now it wont come off.

charliehaley
06-30-2009, 08:54 PM
And the leather wasnt like this before you used the gold class? Like it wasnt shiny in some places and matte in others.