PDA

View Full Version : Number of pads and types

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

harshest
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I think I am finally ready to pull the trigger on this PC kit
Pinnacle polishes, pinnacle swirl remover, porter cable swirl remover, porter cable kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pitwpocaspof.html)

My question is should I get more pads and should I get some different types?

I will only be working on my vehicles, a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and a 2006 Ford Explorer.

Feed back please

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I think I am finally ready to pull the trigger on this PC kit
Pinnacle polishes, pinnacle swirl remover, porter cable swirl remover, porter cable kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pitwpocaspof.html)

My question is should I get more pads and should I get some different types?

I will only be working on my vehicles, a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and a 2006 Ford Explorer.

Feed back please

I would look into the Menzerna or Megs 105 and 205 kit with 5 inch pads. I like to have atleast 5 of the following colors-orange, green, white, gray, blue, and a couple of the foamed wool pads.

Garry Dean
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
To start with all you really need is the PC 7424XP, Meguiars M105 and M205, Lake Country backing plate, 2 6.5" orange LC pads, and 2 6.5" white LC pads.

The list above will get you some really wonderful results. You can always buy more pads as you go. I generally can polish an entire compact car with 2 pads without cakeup.

Personally I like to have at least 4 of each pad color on hand at all times. This is rarely necessary, but once in a while I get in a pinch and need all of them.

If you cannot find a kit with the items I have listed feel free to call Dwayne at Autogeek and he will put that package together for you I'm sure.

Rsurfer
06-23-2009, 09:48 PM
To start with all you really need is the PC 7424XP, Meguiars M105 and M205, Lake Country backing plate, 2 6.5" orange LC pads, and 2 6.5" white LC pads.

The list above will get you some really wonderful results. You can always buy more pads as you go. I generally can polish an entire compact car with 2 pads without cakeup.

Personally I like to have at least 4 of each pad color on hand at all times. This is rarely necessary, but once in a while I get in a pinch and need all of them.

If you cannot find a kit with the items I have listed feel free to call Dwayne at Autogeek and he will put that package together for you I'm sure.
Why are you recommending LC 6.5" pads instead of the 5.5" pads?

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
My thoughts also Ron, he needs the 5 inch pads, he really doesn't need the 6.5 inch pads.

44annex
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I think you are off to a fine start . You will add as you need and as you see fit . Much depends on the condition of your vehicles to begin with . Experiment and enjoy !

Garry Dean
06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Pad size is totally preference. I have used 5 inchers in the past because people like to rant and rave about how much better cut they get with the smaller pads. I exclusively use 6.5" pads on my G110 and do not notice any better cut or polish results with any color pad. The benefit I see is that bigger pads cover more area. I use 6.5" pads with my rotary and my Flex also.

The bottom line is that either size is good, but you can cover a larger area in less time with the 6.5 inchers and if you ever step up to a Flex or a rotary you can use the same pads.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 10:21 PM
The 5 inch cut better on a pc and you can also use them on a rotary. I don't see that as a rant but a fact. You will see a minimal difference between the two in time in the area covered, but you will see yourself working harder with the bigger pad on a pc.

Garry Dean
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
The 5 inch cut better on a pc and you can also use them on a rotary. I don't see that as a rant but a fact. You will see a minimal difference between the two in time in the area covered, but you will see yourself working harder with the bigger pad on a pc.

LOL, ok you win.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
LOL, ok you win.

Nothing funny, or trying to win. Just giving the op accurate info so he can get the most out of the pc.

Garry Dean
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Nothing funny, or trying to win. Just giving the op accurate info so he can get the most out of the pc.

So my info wasn't accurate? I was simply stating my personal experience and preference. I have tried both 5 and 6.5 inchers side by side and could not see any difference in cut or polish. As I stated before, any size is fine, but I personally like the 6.5" pads on my G110.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
So my info wasn't accurate? I was simply stating my personal experience and preference. I have tried both 5 and 6.5 inchers side by side and could not see any difference in cut or polish. As I stated before, any size is fine, but I personally like the 6.5" pads on my G110.

Sorry you couldn't see the difference, but the 5 inch pads cut better on a pc. You are correct it is all about personal preference, but once again just making sure the op gets the most from his use of the pc.

Rsurfer
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
OP was asking for advice on pads for a pc, not a G110.

Garry Dean
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Sorry you couldn't see the difference, but the 5 inch pads cut better on a pc. You are correct it is all about personal preference, but once again just making sure the op gets the most from his use of the pc.

He will get the most out of the PC with either size pad. 5 inchers are less expensive so if you are trying to save money there you go. I like the 6.5's mainly because side by side with the 5's I saw no difference on hard and soft clears and because I can use them with my Flex and rotary.

Hey, I'm just curious, are you an enthusiast or a pro detailer?

Garry Dean
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
OP was asking for advice on pads for a pc, not a G110.

They are basically the same thing.