PDA

View Full Version : paint correction

kevo
06-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi Guys,
I am Fairly new to paint correction, my problem is I can take out heavy scratches with 2000 w/d then wool, then menzerma with blue pad, then xmt finishing glaze with green pad but I cant take out the very fine scratches. Can someone give me some advice on a better procedure?

Thanks for your advice in advance

kevin

dublifecrisis
06-23-2009, 07:40 AM
are you inducing these fine scratches during the process of removing the deeper scratches? eitehr way, are the fine scratches swirls from washing, marring from the microfiber towel or what?

kevo
06-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I dont think i am inducing them in the process,i am talking about a very scratched car.maybe from washing & neglect but i just cant get swirl free paint like on the forum

SRHTX
06-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Kevo,

Do you have any pictures of the vehicle so we can look and offer suggestions?

Blackthorn One
06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Why don't you try going to 2500 and 3000 grit paper before you compound, then? Once you use polishing compound after that, the scratches should be gone. Be sure the polishing pad is clean, so that the pad isn't scratching the paint with dried on polish particles or grit, and of course, I'm sure you already clayed the car to remove contaminants from the paint.

kevo
06-25-2009, 02:19 AM
No I dont have any photos it was a train wreck at a dealership and it was last minute, I think the 2500 & 3000 w/d would be a good idea, and erh no i didnt use clay.

thanks for the suggestions

Kevin

Matt
06-25-2009, 05:14 AM
and erh no i didnt use clay.

BINGO!....it's always a good idea to use clay as the contaminants in the paint can break free during polishing and induce swirls in the paint.

Hope this helps ^_^