PDA

View Full Version : Flex or Makita ?

newnmpr0ved
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
hello all, i'm hoping to get ur advise before i drop alot of money on a Polisher/Polishes... a little about myself, i've always been a car enthusiast for as long as i can remember... about a year ago i thought i'd try to get into automotive detailing as a hobby... i purchased a PC7424 kit here and it just didnt seem to do it for me... i'm trying to remove moderate to severe swirl marks on my mothers 2004 Lexus ES330 and the PC failed to do so... i've used M105 + PC on speed 6 + Lake Country Orange Pad multiple times and it just hid the swirls for a week then all of a sudden appear... just the other day i sold my PC, thinking i needed a more powerful orbital buffer... my question for u guys is, do u think i'm using the wrong polish or the wrong buffer ?? or a combination of both ?? or is the pad not aggressive enough ??? i've shelled out so much money trying to find a solution to correct the exterior appearance on the vehicle but it just doesnt last... as far as the buffer goes, i'm considering the FLEX LK603VVB because the price is very reasonable at 169.99... i'd like to keep the range under 200, but if it need be i wouldnt mind jumping up in price

Rsurfer
06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
105 with an orange pad on speed 6 on soft Lexus paint. 2 + 2 = 5.

ryandamartini
06-23-2009, 08:58 AM
meguiars 105?

I think you should take a look at the PC how to videos and look around at some different polishes as 105 is a compound that is used for *serious* catastrophies of paint.

Also I have read over at the meguiars forums that M105 was made to be used with wool pads on the rotary. Also compounding with such a heavy compound will require subsequent steps afterwards most likely.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
meguiars 105?

I think you should take a look at the PC how to videos and look around at some different polishes as 105 is a compound that is used for *serious* catastrophies of paint.

Also I have read over at the meguiars forums that M105 was made to be used with wool pads on the rotary. Also compounding with such a heavy compound will require subsequent steps afterwards most likely.

This not true, 105 is a very versatal compound. Depending on pad type and pressure will dictate type of cut and how much will need to be cleaned up after it. Please use the product or do better reasearch before giving incorrect information about a product.

ryandamartini
06-23-2009, 09:42 AM
This not true, 105 is a very versatal compound. Depending on pad type and pressure will dictate type of cut and how much will need to be cleaned up after it. Please use the product or do better reasearch before giving incorrect information about a product.

Ah, well personally, I never bring out 105 unless its for heavy work. I don't think I said it right before,

Maybe try some different combos with the PC before he switches to a new product is what I was trying to convey, sorry for the confusion. I do use the product, but only on heavy stuff, no need for hostility.

Thanks for the info on it can be used on other things, I will try it out :):buffing:

Wendell Jarvis
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM

:iagree::whs:

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Ah, well personally, I never bring out 105 unless its for heavy work. I don't think I said it right before,

Maybe try some different combos with the PC before he switches to a new product is what I was trying to convey, sorry for the confusion. I do use the product, but only on heavy stuff, no need for hostility.

Thanks for the info on it can be used on other things, I will try it out :):buffing:

Not being hostile at all, one should know the ins and outs of a product before giving any type of info. This product is totally different from anything like 3M extra-cut or Menzerna Power Gloss.

newnmpr0ved
06-23-2009, 07:33 PM
thanks for the helpful response ASPHALT... i'm a trial and error type of guy, and i usually like to find a shortcut to things rather than sit n watch a how to video... i guess i'll have to go and do that... its hard finding the right combination of pad + polish to remove certain imperfections

CakeDaddy
06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
hmmm. the megs105 is probably the best for any job. Not sure if its strickly dedicated for heavy jobs, but........... I have 3M 06060 fine cut for the heavy jobs, but the 06060 3M may be more effective if used with a flex or stronger buffer/polisher, but not the pc.