PDA

View Full Version : Opt Car Wash dilution..

Bunky
06-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Anyone using Optimum Car Wash at dilutions less than 1 ounce per gallon?

I used a sample I got in trade and it generated decent suds, cleaned well, and rinsed nicely at 1 ounce per gallon but looking for something more cost effective (more like PB SSS). I have soft water so I am just wondering about drop off in lubricity.

Emile
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
I use Optimum Car Wash at 1oz per gallon as per the directions. I think because it is a pretty slick and extremely foamy soap, you may be able to get away with half an oz per gallon, but I wouldn't dilute it any less than that.

trhland
06-22-2009, 02:28 PM
i strickly only use pinnacle bodywork shampoo. lots of lubricitly and only need 1 ounce per gallon .

r0ckstrWS6
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
back to top...

so question. I just bought some of the Optimum car wash.

you guys are saying to put 1oz of the car wash per every gallon. so if you filled up a five gallon bucket it would be 5oz of car wash.

but on the AG website it says you can use an ounce or less to wash the entire car...

"This formula is very concentrated. Only 1 ounce or less produces enough foaming suds to safely clean your entire vehicle. The 32 oz. bottle contains enough liquid to wash your vehicle every weekend for 7 months!"

so whats the right dillution ratio??

heatgain
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
.....you guys are saying to put 1oz of the car wash per every gallon. so if you filled up a five gallon bucket it would be 5oz of car wash.
but on the AG website it says you can use an ounce or less to wash the entire car...
"This formula is very concentrated. Only 1 ounce or less produces enough foaming suds to safely clean your entire vehicle. The 32 oz. bottle contains enough liquid to wash your vehicle every weekend for 7 months!"
so whats the right dillution ratio??
1 oz per gallon.

wagonproject
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I usually use 2 ounces of OPT car wash and fill the bucket to about 4 or 4 1/2 gallons of water. Works and cleans really nice.

Bunky
07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
The last time I used it I went with about 1.5 oz to 3 gallons. It seemed to work fine.

Garry Dean
07-14-2009, 07:28 PM
As with most products the dilution ratio is really up to the end user. I generally play around with my products to see what works best for the job that Im working on. The directions on the bottle are just a recommendation which are not set in stone. I have used several products, ONR for example, that I have switched to my own dilutions because they work better for me.

1 oz per gallon does work well with OPT car wash, but I generally use about 2 oz to 3 gallons of water.

kaptain_zero
07-14-2009, 09:55 PM
There's always Meguiars Hyper Wash from the Detailers line. It's about $3 less a gallon than the Optimum and the recommended dilution is 1:400 or a slightly generous 1 oz to to the average 5 gal bucket. I've not used it myself yet as it's not available this side of the border, but it is on my shopping list. I've not heard anything negative about it. Then again, it does have a rather low profile compared to the "boutique" washes out there. AG carries it of course.....

Regards

Christian

tenorplayer23
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Optimum does produce very good suds/lubricity, but I was wondering about the recommended dilution ratios, as well. I would think that the mfg. recommednations are based on "optimum" product performance (no pun intended), as well as, consumption. After all, a 16oz. bottle at 1 oz./gal. ought be used up a lot faster than 1oz. per bucket (aka, 4-5 gals.). It's a consumables business! ;)

From what I have read, Poor Boys Super Slick & Suds (1oz. per 2-3 gals.), DP Extreme Foam (1 oz per 2 gals.), DP Auto Shampoo (1oz per 3-5 gals) get pretty good reviews and seem ~reasonably economical.

I'd start with 1 oz. in the bucket & add water to incremental levels the first time around, looking at foaming and trying the suds/lubrication on the car to see what you like for ratios. I'd start at 1oz. per 2 gals. and go up to 4+gals. For a foam gun, I think again, it is trial and error, although using a formulation that was spec'd for a foam gun might be a better starting point, as well.

Just my 2 cents (maybe 3-4) :) Ugh...............

See ya.

wytstang
07-15-2009, 12:32 AM
I used 1 to 1 1/2 ounces of Opt soap to 2 gallons of H2O. Works well and cleans like a champ.

Blackfire
07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Although Grit Guard works well, I'm convinced they get a commission from the soap companies because it forces more water in the bucket and more soap.:D

r0ckstrWS6
07-15-2009, 09:30 AM
thanks guys, I guess I'll try experimenting with the ratio a bit.

Emile
07-15-2009, 10:02 AM
You don't have to follow the directions. And I believe that many people only use 1 or 2 gallons of water to wash their vehicles. I like to use a good 4 gallons in addition to my regular foam cannon pre-soak.

Optimum Car Wash, you can get away with using less than 1oz per gallon of water because it's just so amazingly foamy. Using less will not provide the same cleaning power, but hey, many people don't need all that cleaning power.

Bunky
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
You don't have to follow the directions.

That may be true but I suspect a lot of people will follow the instructions to be safe.

A better idea would put a range. In general, if you have soft water you should be able to use less. When you use less soap, you have less lubricity and less soap. Less cleaning agents in the soap is not really an issue if it cleans but I just wonder about lubricity.