PDA

View Full Version : will the grit guard fit in any 5 gallon bucket

unclestu
06-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi i have a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids that I purchased at Home Depot. Will the grit guard fit into these buckets? I would rather spend the money on other detailing supplies rather than replaceing two perfectly good buckets.

Thanks

Unclestu

WindyCity
06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Should fit just fine. I use whatever 5 gallon bucket that I have on hand....As long as it is a standard 5 gal bucket you should be ok..Some buckets it might be a little tighter to get the grit guard in and out if need be. My last bucket it was wedged in there so tight i use pliers to get it out and my new bucket i had to put a little wedge in there to keep the grit guard from falling out when i dumped the water out..

Meghan
06-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes most of the buckets are the exact same size, should not be a problem.

unclestu
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all of you help.

Unclestu

dan111103
06-20-2009, 05:09 PM
It depends on how you want it to fit in the bucket. When I went shopping for buckets I took a tape measure with me. Some 5 gallon buckets are narrower at the bottom than others. The grit guard is 10-1/8" wide so if you want it to fit at the bottom of the bucket get one that's 10-1/8" wide at the bottom. That is what I have. You may or may not need to add a wedge if you don't want the grit guard to come out when you dump the bucket. If it fits too loose the grit guard can float also sometimes. Mine don't fit tight and I don't really have any floating issues and the guards will come out when I dump the bucket so I take them out first. I have some narrower buckets too but the grit guard doesn't go all the way to the bottom and it's wedged in there.

A4 1.8tqm
06-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I have several orange "Homer" buckets, they fit fine.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
06-20-2009, 08:58 PM
FYI...The plain white buckets at Lowes are too narrow at the bottom. The Grit Guard will not sit on the bottom.

killrflake
06-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes most of the buckets are the exact same size, should not be a problem.
This is why we all appreciate you Megan and the others at your place. You try to give honest help to a forum member rather then just sugjest he should only buy a new bucket from you to get a proper fit. I applaud your honesty.