PDA

View Full Version : I don't sleep at night....help please!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Raynman
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, but this seemed like the most likely place.Any help on this topic would be greatful...i gots lots to say so read carefully and if i miss something don't be afraid to ask.
I'm new to the forum and have been a hobby detailer for 15yrs. I do friends and familys cars as well as a few for some paying customers.Over the years i have been dabbling into buffing out scratches minor paint defects and even the odd scatch from a rogue steel rake lol.There is one thing i can't seem to get just right.....BLACK!!! I don't sleep at night until it looks just right and i haven't got there yet.I used to have a black car years ago and ended up selling it because i obsessed over the paint.Now my wife just got a used Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible in you guessed it.....BLACK!!! Now my sleepless nights begin again (no wonder i drink):cheers:.
I don't have any special equipment just a simoniz 9" orbital buffer and a 7" high speed buffer im afraid to use (at this point).I have been using the standard bonnets for application as well as removal.
So lets get back to the main reason for my post (2 part problem).
Problem #1: I use the 3M line of products (heavy,medium,and fine scratch removal creams and the swirl removal cream for dark cars for my prep) and use the meguiars liquid carnuba wax for my finish.After the car is completely detailed there isn't an imperfection on it but it doesn't look black anymore.It just doesn't have that deep dark black finish like it did when we first bought the car especially in direct sunlight.I have tried different polishes,glazes and waxes but they just don't seem to work.
Problem #2: The other thing also that drives me crazy is after a couple of washes i have a serious "hazing" problem which makes the black colour even worse.Its as if the the polish/glaze and wax is getting stripped away after a wash or two and exposing the hazing swirls.
I have a real feeling that im using outdated equipment with updated creams and polishes and need to take the next step to purchasing the right kit for my needs and a lesson on how to use it.I also have a feeling that not using CCS foam pads with the ability to control the speed on my buffer have alot to do with my problem.
I would like to purchase a Porter Cable 7424 XL pad kit with the Pinnacle XMT swirl removers (heavy,intermediate and light swirl removers),Carnauba finishing glaze,and Poorboys Natty's paste wax in blue for the applications that i'm doing.I followed the online porter cable polishing guide step by step and feel this is easily within my comfort zone but is this just another waste of money that doesn't work? I don't want to have a flawless finish that won't keep,i want to get rid of the swirls and hazing properly without covering them up and get rid of them for good.The only up keep i want should be a good wax twice a year.
If i could have some veterans chime in here i would be forever in debt to you.Just if your wondering im someone with alot of common sense but just need some guidance from a pro to point me in the right direction so im not running around in circles my whole life.I'm tired of wasting my time and money on products that aren't solving my problem and as usual im the only guy in my group of friends that has a really passion for perfection to a T.
Now that i look at it im just someone who wants to sleep at night....
Thanks for the help!!

PerroneFord
06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Step 1. You need to learn to wash the car correctly.

Step 2. Spend some time here reading about how to polish and care for the paint. Maybe a month or 2.

Step 3. If you decided you need to do some buffing, get rid of the thing you have and buy a proper random orbital. A flex or a PC with the proper pads and accessories.

In general, black is no different than anything else. It just demands your processes be correct, while other colors will let you bit a bit more sloppy.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
You are correct in saying your glaze and wax after getting removed when washing. Also by hand you are not going to get the finish you are losing sleep over. At the least you are going to need a pc and some very good polishes, pads, and decent microfiber towels. Also going to have to get a very good washing technique. The color black should not make a difference in your finished product, if black isn't coming out for you that means the other colors are not also. All colors should be treated the same, its that black or dark colors show defects alot better than others. this is a picture of my vette, when a black vehicle is properly taken care of this is what it should look like, or any other color for that matter.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll222/Asphaltrocket/vette075.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll222/Asphaltrocket/vette086.jpg

nitro78
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
:iagree::whs:

could it be that those 3m products your using are actually hiding the defects? then after the fillers wash away the vehicle goes back to looking like it did previously? as far as waxing every six months there are few products that protect that long. the one that comes to mind is collinite insulator wax however.

Harleyguy
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
This helps me sleep a little better at night after doing my black car
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/Harleyguy_photos/CIMG1439-1.jpg

PerroneFord
06-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Is that the wife? ;)

Harleyguy
06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Is that the wife? ;)It's one of them since i'm a mormon

nrengle
06-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I think that'd keep me up at night....

Gary Sword
06-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Is this a black vette thread?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Z06_Souveran2.jpg

Rsurfer
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Show us yours Killr and Matt sorry Silver don't count.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Is this a black vette thread?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Z06_Souveran2.jpg

Is there any other black car out there Gary?:D

Gary Sword
06-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Is there any other black car out there Gary?:D

I did read something about a black Pontiac G6.

Just kidding Raynman. Don’t mean to steal your thread. Sounds like you don’t feel comfortable using a rotary and your simonize 9" orbital buffer is not going to do anything. I would invest in the Flex XC 3401 VRG instead of a PC. Keeping black paint looking great is a PITA. Personally I would never have a black car as my daily driver because I like to sleep at night.

Jimmie
06-16-2009, 12:00 PM
This helps me sleep a little better at night after doing my black car
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/Harleyguy_photos/CIMG1439-1.jpg

Never thought about centering a palm tree reflection on the hood. Nice touch.

PerroneFord
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm really curious about something....

Do you guys think the woman in the photo is very attractive, average, or "not your cup of tea"?

2old2change
06-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Depends on if the wife is looking over my shoulder while I'm typing. LOL

Paul