PDA

View Full Version : Help:Wheel wax vs. Poorboy vs. Duragloss vs. DP glaze

Pages : [1] 2

cobraa
06-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello guys!

I'm looking to enhance the look of my wheel. The problem is that they are 15 year old! And the lip is brushed aluminium that make it look like it's chrome but it's impossible to polish it to chrome. So I would like to give them a nice shine. So, I searched a lot on the forum and i'm way too confused with the answer I found here!

Wheel Wax: Seem to be an overrated product. There's better.

Poorboy wheel sealant: Can't find any info in the search function( is there another name for it?)

Duragloss: Seems to be appreciate it on here but peoples use #501 ? Can't find it on the store..

DP Wheel glaze: Found 2 review: One was positive and the other was so-so because it didn't last a long time.

Please help!!!

Here's my wheel: Volk racing CV-PRO
http://carview-img02.bmcdn.jp/carlife/images/UserCarPat/1154204/p1.jpg

pt91
06-14-2009, 09:57 AM
i have tried a few of them and prefer to use any of the wowa sealants as the durability seems as good or better and they are MUCH easier to apply.

Surfer
06-14-2009, 12:07 PM
i have tried a few of them and prefer to use any of the wowa sealants as the durability seems as good or better and they are MUCH easier to apply.Agree, even Klasse AIO works awesome on wheels, the slight acrylic layer it leaves will bead my chrome wheels for weeks. I like to use AIO topped with anything from Collinite, Duragloss AW etc.

cobraa
06-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the tips. But i'm even more confusing now lol.. I have 6 products on my list.

So, I guess I should just pick pretty much anything and at the end of the day, a sealant is a sealant. I want to get the most shine out of my wheel but nobody seems to sell wax for wheel, only sealant.

Rsurfer
06-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. But i'm even more confusing now lol.. I have 6 products on my list.

So, I guess I should just pick pretty much anything and at the end of the day, a sealant is a sealant. I want to get the most shine out of my wheel but nobody seems to sell wax for wheel, only sealant.
Waxes are too soft. The heat on the wheels will not give a wax good durability. I like Duragloss 501 topped with AW after every wash. Makes brake dust float away.

Rsurfer
06-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501 cleans, polishes, and shines gelcoat fiberglass boat and RV finishes. Duragloss durable boat and RV polishes. (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-marine-rv-polish--501.html)

christian900se
06-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I cant say enough about Poorboys Wheel Sealant, I have used a bunch of different sealants and waxes on my wheels and my customers wheels and I keep loving Poorboys. It works great on non coated metals too, keeps them from oxidizing.

HMFIC
06-15-2009, 01:51 AM
I have PB's sealant and DP's glaze. DP looks, and smells, a little better then PB, but PB lasts longer. Dont know about the other ones b/c I have not tried them.

tanninman
06-15-2009, 05:21 AM
I used Wheel Wax for years, great product. Used DP Wheel Glaze for the first time this weekend & really liked it, a little easier to buff off,less dust. As far as durability goes how long can anything last on wheels? I say they need something on them every 3 weeks if possible.

cobraa
06-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't care about durability as I wash my car almost every weeks. I'm really more about LOOKS and shining-effect.

ScottB
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
If the wheels lip is uncoated aluminum consider using P21S polishing soap to remove tarnish first. Then use a Mothers Powerball Mini with any aluminum polish like Mothers PowerPolish. Finally coat with DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.
Tires & Wheels cleaning products (http://www.autogeek.net/tirewheelcare.html)

cobraa
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
My lip is coated, I already did a polish with Mothers. I can't do anything better. This is why I want to add some shine to make it look ''newer''.

Thanks guys.

What come up more often is DP wheel glaze, Poorboys for looks and Duragloss #501 for durability..Am I right?

nitro78
06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
i have wheel wax and have no complaints, though i have not tried the other products. my favorite combo for looks on my 20 inch rims are three coats z2 followed by a coat of wheel wax 12 hours later.

cobraa
06-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Today, I was at job and I had some spare times. So, I took the time to test our 4 different sealant/glaze. 1 was synthetic wax. 2 were ''all-in-one'' and the last one was a 3M foam glaze. I must say that they all look pretty the same but not with the shine or finish I was expecting.

Are all sealant/glaze the sames or does it exist special formula for wheel ?
Thanks for the head up!

ScottB
06-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Are all sealant/glaze the sames or does it exist special formula for wheel ?
Thanks for the head up!

In general all paint sealants or waxes could be used on wheels. Pure waxes often will wear out quite quickly due to extreme heat wheels see. I cannot easily suggest the makeup is different but could use different brightners and polymers to make wheels look better.