PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Clay??

watermantra
06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm about to purchase some new clay bars and I was wondering if I could get some responses from the peanut gallery...(that's you guys!)...about which clay is your favorite and why.

In addition, I've been using ONR as my lubricant base, and would welcome any comments about which lubricants are your perennial favorites, as well.

Thanks in advance!

CharlesW
06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I hope the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay gets some recommendations.
AG has it on the BOGO page right now.

Surfer
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Pinnacle is a real soft clay, not aggressive. I like Megs white, not too soft but not too aggressive. If Pinnacle is bogo can't go wrong there.

Jeremy
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I hope the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay gets some recommendations.
AG has it on the BOGO page right now.

I bought 10 the last time they were bogo

Pinnacle is a real soft clay, not aggressive. I like Megs white, not too soft but not too aggressive. If Pinnacle is bogo can't go wrong there.

I'll agree the pinnacle is real soft and really no match for the lower portions on a vehicle

zinc02gt
06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
I have always used the Mother's California Gold Clay bar and the showtime quick detail as lube. Basically the kit that's OTC.

I've never had any issues with it. Turns out just fine for me even on black cars.

mixmaster209
06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
i'll second zinc02gt post.
Just ordered Mother's California Gold Clay Bar kit a week ago from autogeek and it comes with 2 yellow clay bars and they've worked great! Never had a problem with them either. The showtime has worked pretty well as clay lube. I spray some on the car and some on the side of the clay bar i will be using and i've never encountered any marring from using these. Here's a link -
Mothers California Gold Clay Bar - Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System, detailing clay bar, 2 clay bars (http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html)
I found it to be a pretty good deal even after duties because the canadian tire near here only sells a kit with 1 clay bar here and selling it for about 31$ tax in. And this kit comes with 2 bars so i'm happy! :)

Jimmie
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM

:iagree: I use the same two. I'd jump on the Pinnacle offer. It's all that I use on my cars since I do a complete detail a couple of time a year and it gives me the confidence that there will be no marring.

TheDodgeGuy
06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
WG is tops for me. I love the stuff, a little hard to work with cold but most of the bars are that way

RustyBumper
06-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Malco makes a great clay. Pinnacle is too soft and doesn't hold up very well IMO.

HMFIC
06-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Pinnacle is great for a person who clays often(its what I use on my DD).

I use DP(very similar to WG clay but a little cheaper) clay on most of my 1st time customers. Its harder to kneed, compared to pinnacle, but does a great job of removing contaminates quickly.

Blackthorn One
06-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Griot's Garage clay is great. Really does an effective job on removing contaminants and very mild oxidation. Holds up very well, long lasting, and very inexpensive, at about $20 for 200 grams or so. To get the best shine, one should use a light polish after. It doesn't scratch,though. I had a really bad experience with Mother's clay about 10 years ago. Used it to remove old overspray. Really scratched up the black lacquer paint. Until I get a sample of some new stuff and try it on a junk piece, I'll never be using it again.

Gary Sword
06-14-2009, 06:53 AM
I don't think there's much difference in the clay brands. Some clays are more course then others. Just choose the right one for the job based on how course the clay is and how bad the embedded particles in the paint are. A course clay can mar your paint so I follow the same rules as I do when polishing. Start out with a less aggressive clay and go to a more aggressive one if needed. If you plan to polish the paint after claying is less of a concern.