PDA

View Full Version : Problem with window area

pezgarden
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Hello,

This is the window area of a 1980 308 GTSi. The door window sits against a black woven strip. Just beyond it is most likely an original part of the door panel. It's some woven heavy stiff material. It should be black but its faded away. Next to it is the leather inside door panel.

What product or dye can i use to re-blaken this piece?

Any tips on procedures, so not to damage the other sections?

Thanks

Mac

FloridaNative
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Black again maybe?

Reddwarf
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Is it the felt like material that the window glides against?

justin_murphy
09-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Is it the felt like material that the window glides against?

That stuff actually has a name....learned it today....

MOLE HAIR!!!

For real.....

FloridaNative
09-07-2006, 02:59 PM
LOL Maybe he should use some permanent hair color then? :p Learn something new everyday

Reddwarf
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I sent the picture to a friend of mine who is an expert on italian car restorations. If he responds I'll post this comment.

ScottB
09-07-2006, 04:45 PM
That stuff actually has a name....learned it today....

MOLE HAIR!!!

For real.....

Maybe a little mascara for the mole hair :p

pezgarden
09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello again!

The part in question is not next to the glass. I believe it is like a backing to the leather door panel. Its more like a hard woven board???

I just want something which goes deeper than the surface. Then when it starts to wear by UV or friction you won't get the light color fading through.

Thanks again!

Mac

Surfer
09-07-2006, 06:24 PM
We owned a 328 long time ago, only a couple months lol, what a piece of sh!t. But I'm kinda confused as to what your asking, are you talking about the felt? If it's the felt not sure theres anything you can do besides literally taking the door apart and installing a new liner. If it's the top strip I'm thinking about you should be able to use any type of dye or restorer but I'm guessing you want something mroe permanent right? I saw your picture and your pointing to the backing of the panel of which is attached to the felt and panel.

You may be able to use a dye and gently restore the color but I don't know and don't remember what kind of material that part is. On newer vehicles its generally just a rubber strip. You may just have to remove the door and somehow seperate it from the panel and go about restoring it. I think if you try to do something as is from the top, it may become a mess.

Al-53
09-07-2006, 06:25 PM
you can buy that strip new ..it attaches to the door panel with clips I believe....it use to come in 6 foot lengths ...and you cut your size....you need to find a auto restore supply shop...

To fix it I would get some black dye from eastwoods..and a painters edging tool...sorta like a thin strip on metal with a handle..painter use it to cut in paint near wood trim so no paint gets on wood...place it at the bottom of the cloth area..and apply dye litely..do a few coats ...one a day till you like the results...

AL