PDA

View Full Version : MF Detergent (make your own?)

nrengle
06-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Ok, so I'm on the hunt for a house, and doing green things to save money, etc, etc. Well one was making your own laundry detergent with Washing Powder, Borax, and hand soap. You can make this a liquid or a powder, depends on how you want to do it.

So this got my mind rolling and I starting to think if I were to make this without the hand soap would it be a good MF wash? We all know we're supposed to use MF specific detergents because they don't have the residues that can stick around like regular laundry detergent. What do you guys think? Would it be alright, or would it be too harsh as it's a PH of about 11. Though water is neutral at 7 (ish).

Part of using this as a regular detergent for clothes says to throw a 1/4 cup of vinegar in to help neutralize it. So, thoughts everyone?

ml13
06-12-2009, 02:25 AM
ive heard people using woolite. I actually soak some of my interior and cheaper microfibers in woolite before washing in microfiber cleaner to get rid of tough grease and whatnot and they come out fine.

Matt
06-12-2009, 02:37 AM
I've heard that using vinegar with microfibers can reduce their absorbency.

One thing that I've found with microfiber detergent is that the microfibers come out feeling dryer from the washing machine than if I was to wash them using a normal detergent (after the spin cycle and before actually "drying" them). I'm not sure what causes this effect though, but you may want to look into that as well.

Bunky
06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Microfiber detergents (at least two different brands I have) are more liquid than gel. Tide seems to be thicker in consistency (more like Dawn). Woolite He is somewhere in between.

I would guess the thicker soaps may be more difficult to rinse depending on how they dissolve in water. I know Dawn can be difficult to rinse out if you use too much.
I also assume mf soaps do not have optical brighteners, etc like many washing machine soaps. that most laundry detergents which may stay behind on the fabric.

RTexasF
06-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Certainly there are better ways to save a buck than this?

nrengle
06-13-2009, 04:52 AM
See it's just a thought. Washing soda (washing soda -is in the same family as baking soda. It has just been processed differently; it's sodium carbonate-two sodium atoms, a carbon atom, and three hydrogen atoms-whereas baking soda is sodium bicarbonate-the same ingredients, but with a hydrogen atom replacing one of the sodiums), and borax are doing the hard work. The hand soap flakes (basically like zesting a lemon just doing it to a bar of soap instead), is to add that soap like feeling, and foaming action. This is why I was thinking a mixture of 3 gallons water, 2 cups washing soda, and 2 cups of borax. You get the cleaning abilities of the MF detergents without the mixed in fabric softeners, and other nasties that are not recommended for our MF towels.

CharlesW
06-13-2009, 07:36 AM
See it's just a thought. Washing soda (washing soda -is in the same family as baking soda. It has just been processed differently; it's sodium carbonate-two sodium atoms, a carbon atom, and three hydrogen atoms-whereas baking soda is sodium bicarbonate-the same ingredients, but with a hydrogen atom replacing one of the sodiums), and borax are doing the hard work. The hand soap flakes (basically like zesting a lemon just doing it to a bar of soap instead), is to add that soap like feeling, and foaming action. This is why I was thinking a mixture of 3 gallons water, 2 cups washing soda, and 2 cups of borax. You get the cleaning abilities of the MF detergents without the mixed in fabric softeners, and other nasties that are not recommended for our MF towels.
Or you can just spend 30 to 40 dollars for a gallon of Micro-Restore that will do 64 loads of MF towels. :D
For most hobby detailers, that's over a years worth of towel washing. :)

If you have this urge to experiment, then more power to you. Just do it for the enjoyment rather than any savings. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Blackfire
06-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I spend $21 on a gallon of product that dispenses 1/8 cup per wash-load. That's a lot of laundry. It's 128 loads.

ScottB
06-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I just dont get the benefit of this long term, the MF Cleaners offered today are rather cheap, effective, and all-in-one bottle. By the time you add, mix, and take the time isnt more effective to simply squeeze the bottle and add Microrestore into the wash and be done with it ??

nrengle
06-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Maybe. But I like to play around with stuff from time to time. And it's also one of those things that if this would work fine, it'd be a great go to if you happen turn out of your favorite MF detergent, and can't wait for a shipment from AG to arrive.