PDA

View Full Version : Input for detailer products...

Wolfknight87
06-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I work at a carwash/oil change/detail shop and do all of thee above. I am trying to branch out and do my own detailing on the side(done a few already). I've been detailing cars for almost 3 years now, but I've only had the chance to use PDP products from a local supplier, and thats all my boss will order for me. I plan to base my pricing on what a detail costs at my other job, which is about 70 inside, 100 outside, and 150 full detail(price for cars larger vehicles would be upcharged). I want to provide my customers with the best quality products, but at the same time keep my costs reasonable. I've browsed the forum looking at different combos others have tried, but so many combos to chosefrom for care car. I am looking for suggestions for a good product/process on the exterior of the car thats cost/time effective with good results. I always clay my details then follow up with a polish prior to waxing. My list for products so far include...

PDP formal dress for tires,wheel wells, ext trim
PDP Greenstuff(general purpose cleaner)
303 Cleaner
303 Protectant
Zaino z5
z2
zfx
z6
z8
Z fusion
Invisible glass
Porter Cable orbital(what pads?)

Any input on products to add or subject would be great. I know its all preference, and I will have to try a few products to see if they suite my taste. I am just trying to provide my customers with the best service possible because nothing makes me happier when the appreciate the time and care I put into making there rides look as fresh as possible. Thanks for your time in advance! ;)

Blackthorn One
06-12-2009, 08:27 AM
If you want to detail a lot of cars, maybe you should get the Flex.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfwbVzsphzs&annotation_id=annotation_456206&feature=iv]YouTube - Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424 HD[/video]

Wolfknight87
06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
To be honest I was really considering a flex, but just wasn't sure if I wanted to make the investment right away. I have used both a makita rotary and a pc orbital. I can say the makita is heavy and wears you out and the pc does take forever on swirls. Does the swirl remover that comes with the flex wolfgang package do a decent job? I have heard the wolfgang sealent is good stuff especially when top coated with a wax.

Blackthorn One
06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
If you watched the video, you would see that the Flex polishes out almost all the scratches in 1 minute and 48 seconds, and the PC polishes out 70% of the scratches in 2 minutes 58 seconds. The Flex polishes in less than half the time, meaning that you can have the whole car polished in about half the time. Time is money as a detailer. After seeing that video, I am more convinced than ever that the Flex is the only way to go. It seems to me that spending an extra $180 for the Flex is more than worth it, and should easily pay for itself, with the greater amount of details that you can do.
I have to ask, did you actually watch the video?
I can't comment on the polish in the Wolfgang package, but most people agree that Menzerna is the best. The Wolfgang sealant is the best, IMO because it looks the richest, even though it only lasts 4-6 months compared to Zaino which lasts almost a year. Yes, topping the Wolfgang with a wax is great.

Wolfknight87
06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
yes I watched the video a couple days ago when I seriously started looking at products for my own side jobs. I have also heard menzerna is good stuff so might just get that package and add DGPS and PB wax. I will most likely get some zaino products after I get up and running just to compare and contrast the differences. Already have some jobs lined up so just need to start getting in some materials next week. Have to ask how is the Flex on weight compared to a regular rotary and the PC. Usually get fatigued using the makita and the porter cable is uncomfortable to handle(awkward).

Blackthorn One
06-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Flex is 5.74 lbs., and the PC is 5 3/4 lbs., while the Makita rotary is 6.6 lbs. The Flex definitely looks more ergonomic than the PC, while the rotary seems to offer the most hand positions. The Flex gets things done in less time, and is a smoother machine, which would logically mean less hand fatigue.

SRHTX
06-12-2009, 06:48 PM
To be honest I was really considering a flex, but just wasn't sure if I wanted to make the investment right away. I have used both a makita rotary and a pc orbital. I can say the makita is heavy and wears you out and the pc does take forever on swirls. Does the swirl remover that comes with the flex wolfgang package do a decent job? I have heard the wolfgang sealent is good stuff especially when top coated with a wax.

Bud, get the Flex. I have a PC and have used it for a few months. I just got the Flex almost two weeks ago and have used it once. MAN. I wish I would have bought the Flex on the 1st purchase. Oh well. I will only use the PC for finishing polish. I will only use Compounds on Stage 1 or Stage 2.

HMFIC
06-13-2009, 12:54 AM
If your already familiar with a rotary, why not get another one? I look at running a rotary like I am getting paid for a workout that I enjoy, most of the time(I dont think that there is a single detailer that hasnt said a few choice cuss words here and there)

Most of the packages only have 1 pad of each or 2 . I think you should have at least 4 of each. Stopping to clean a pad, when your in the grove, how do I say this... sucks.

On products you will find alot of different answers and all of them good. You just have pick one and get to know it.

Wolfknight87
06-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Okay so I placed my first order with autogeek! Gonna try some different products other then my usual, but will probably add a few products from Ohio Auto Supply to my arsenal (OAS is where my work gets its materials from). So Anyhow here is the list.

Meguairs APC+
Meguairs Odor eliminator
Stoner Glass Cleaner and wand(wanna try it for front/rear windshields)
Stoners Tarminator
Megauirs Leather Conditioner
Cobra Wash Mitt
Grit Guard
Duraglass 901 wash
303 Aerospace Protectant
Cobra Guzzlers
Cobra microfiber multipack
Mothers cleaning brushes
Poorboys Natty's Red
Flex XC3401 Wolfgang Concours Polishing kit

Already have some mequiars quick detailer and clay bar
probably will be getting some dressing from the local suppliar as well as some PDP greenstuff, which is an imazing universal cleaner degreaser( interiors, whitewalls, brakedust, engine bays, door jams, etc). Also like to use my local suppliers version of the magic eraser. Might try 10:1 woolite for leather cleaning.

TMD
06-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi Wolfknight.

Didn't notice if anyone had answered your question about the Wolfgang TSR, but it's the best we've used so far. We have used it exclusively with the Flex and have had great results every time.

Good luck!

Wolfknight87
06-16-2009, 07:07 AM
glad to hear it. I have a cadillac cts lined up for sunday if all the supplies get here in time. Doing a friend a favor so, and also using this as an opportunity to spread word of my work(word of mouth is always great advertising).

Steven C
06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
You won't regret your Flex choice . Bought mine month ago sold my pc the next week . very well made tool make sure you oil the felt ring under backing plate (air tool oil )before using. And some advice hold tight when do the sides of your first car the flex has pull to due forced rotation this a two hand operation. Like most random don't free wheel them it's not good for the gearing it meant to have some restriction.:buffing: