PDA

View Full Version : Fine Tuning wash/dry process +

r0ckstrWS6
06-10-2009, 12:17 PM
so with having a black car I'm constantly trying out new products/techniques to reduce the amount of spider-webbing my car gets. Of course this is hard as black shows EVERYTHING. I'm still trying to perfect my process. with that being said help me figure out what I need to change and or modify in what I am doing and offer me some product suggestions also.

Process:

spray wheel cleaner

rinse car with high pressure nozzle & hose, rinse wheel cleaner

two bucket method using two 5 gallon buckets ( currently using WG auto bathe)

I have been working front to back but have read working top to bottom is better- so I will start doing this from now on. I work a panel at a time using a sheepskin mitt, rinse then reload, on to next panel. I also move the mitt in straight lines, no circles.

rinse whole car using stream of water- no nozzle, letting the water sheet off car.

I dry using the HD guzzler. I place the guzzler on the car and push/pat the towel to absorb the water. Or I lay the guzzler on the car and pull only using the guzzlers weight. sometimes I use a QD to aid in drying process/add lubricity.

end process- new spider-webs ( not many but still) . what do I need to change??

is there a more lubricant soap I can use?
better drying method?
better pre-wash method than just rinsing?

Feed back please :D :D

oski83
06-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Are you using any grit guards in the buckets?? If not, GET SOME! If you are, try adding a second one...just adds that extra safety to reduce picking up any swirling debris. Also try throughly rinsing your mitts PRIOR to use as well. Lastly, try adding a second mitt or I use a sponge for attacking the lower half of car that tends to be dirtier than rest of car...hope this helps..it did for me ;)

r0ckstrWS6
06-10-2009, 12:49 PM
no grit guards yet, but they are in my shopping cart.

thats good info, thank u much :)

ScottB
06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
drying --- consider moving to a leaf blower. Remove most of the water on surface leaving barely damp. Now spritz with a detailing spray and wipe with the Guzzler in straight motion and no real pressure. Detailing sprays like Optimum and Griots SprayWax add enough lubrication to avoid dragging towel and also add gloss and a little extra WOW factor too.

oski83
06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes...I forgot, I got that blow-vac...works great followed by some QD and WW towel

Emile
06-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Lake Country Grout Sponge is amazing when trying to wash a black car.

California Water Blade is a great way to get remove most of the water from the vehicle surface without adding any swirling, but if you use it wrong then it can do more harm than good.

dublifecrisis
06-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Something I picked up when I was trying to perfect my ONR routine is to take my soaked wash mitt and gently glide it across the surface without any pressure. I then flip it to the clean side and rewash the panel. In my mind, it would seem that initial light pass would safely pick up much of the surface dirt off the panel then the clean side, with a little more pressure, would take care of the more stubborn stains.

One thing I think I read in the griot's manual a couple years ago was to make the pre-rinse step 10 minutes. Not sure your community water provider would approve of this but I do tend to pre-rinse for few minutes vs just wetting the car.

r0ckstrWS6
06-18-2009, 09:26 AM
^ when you pre-rinse, do you use any product to help aid, or do you just let the water do its thing?

thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it :)

Ryan
06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Def. wash from top to bottom, and have a dedicated washmitt for the lower, dirtiest panels of your car. As most said a leaf blower will reduce the micromarring incurred during the drying process. I find it beneficial to do a presoak on a dry car using my AG foam gun. The mixture consists of 901 w/ TAW.

mini titan
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you have hard water?
Crusty spigots and calcium build up?
Some say that the hard water intoduces swirls also.
I added the water softener set up and I am happy with the results

r0ckstrWS6
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Do you have hard water?
Crusty spigots and calcium build up?
Some say that the hard water intoduces swirls also.
I added the water softener set up and I am happy with the results

it's somewhat hard, although I use a little DP 4 in 1 in the wash solution to help with the hardness.

I find it beneficial to do a presoak on a dry car using my AG foam gun. The mixture consists of 901 w/ TAW.

I don't have a foam gun but maybe I can use a mixture like that to help with the presoak and spray it on, doesn't TAW remove wax/sealant though??

A4 1.8tqm
06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I've heard good things about Pinnacles shampoo, I'm just using Megs gold class.

How old are your sheepskin mitts? As Emile said Consider the LC grout sponge or even Lowe's/Home Depot grout sponge $1-$2 (the softer yellow one). I have them all and of course LC is my favorite. Grit guards!

I always start washing with "horizontal surfaces" roof, hood and trunk lid, then wash windows, top half of doors, trunk, quarter panels, and finally bottom half of doors and bumpers. Keeping my new cheap grout sponges near by for really bad areas. Using a light touch and rinsing sponge/mitt and vehicle often is important. Basically never wash one area unless everything above it, all around the vehicle, it is washed. :cheers: