PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Outside?

mudman
06-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had tips on detailing outside as I do not have a garage to work on my car.

How beneficial would it be to purchase a canopy in order to work in the shade while outside?

My main issue is the lack of a garage or "proper working enviornment" to detail my car. Most recently I just started learning to detail so theres been a lot of little things I am missing in terms of the process. In my area- there is almost always a light breeze, hot sun, and no shade due to a lack of trees as well. It would be very impractical to drive to a friends house to borrow his/her garage for 4-12 hrs.

Another problem for me is that my car is a daily driver, and everyday I wipe down my car with quick detailer. By the end of the day at work- my car is already covered in another layer of dust. My work area has about 200 semi trucks driving by everyday (it's part of my job) to pick up their containers.

Here is a list of the tools I have to work with if it helps any:
Meguiars products: Scratch X 2.0, Swirl X, Plastic X, #7 Glaze, Clear plastic cleaner and polish, DC Cleaner Wax, DC Carnuba Wax, #26 Carnuba Wax, Agressive Clay, NXT 2.0, UQD, QD, #20 Sealant

PC 7424 with Lake Country CCS Pads- Orange, white, grey, blue.
Cobra Arctic White Miracle towel, Guzzler HD, Artic White Edgeless
Tower Pro WCT001 plush towels.

It's very difficult to detail my car with the enviornment settings surrounding me. I've only been able to get in 1-3 panels before the sun starts to blaze.

Any tips and or suggestions on detailing outside under diverse conditons would be very much apreciated! :D

Oh and I know a few do not preffer Meguiars- but I have been happy with their products so I will continue to use them. Maybe when 200 dollars for a jar of wax is manageable, I will give it a shot.

HMFIC
06-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Your going to need some kind of shade for sure. Get a cheap pop up and some weights for it

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/18493-pop-up-canopy.html

Blackthorn One
06-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Poorboy's products are designed to work in the sun. Consider those. Having shade would definitely be more comfortable and would generally give you more time to work with the product you use.

mudman
06-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Your going to need some kind of shade for sure. Get a cheap pop up and some weights for it

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/18493-pop-up-canopy.html
Thanks! I was also looking at one from Cabelas- although it costs a lot. It certainly looks a lot stronger- wouldn't want a canopy falling on a customer's car. haha

Poorboy's products are designed to work in the sun. Consider those. Having shade would definitely be more comfortable and would generally give you more time to work with the product you use.
Thanks! Having shade would certainly make things more comfortable and less disturbing for the neighbors that have to see me shirtless because it's too hot outside. :buffing: