PDA

View Full Version : **Plz Help** Purchased this used car for myself (w. pics) need a pro's assistance.

Koast
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
The car that I purchased was a 1991 Buick LeSabre, it is in good mechanical order and I know the basics of detailing the vehicle but I have a few questions regarding the detailing of some select areas that I hope some seasoned pros could help me with.

My wheels are the stock wheels from the manufacturer, they seem to have suffered serious weather damage on the rims, as I do live in very cold climates. I realize that I am not going to be able to reestablish a "new" shine on these rims but I would like to clean them and protect/finish them as best as possible.

I am not sure what products to use that will at least make these look as good as possible.

I also am not able to tell the metal composition of the wheel's they look like steel rims, but again I'm not sure and would really appreciate the help.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3558/3611934747_4bf9a4bf11.jpg?v=0

I also have some (what looks like) rubber and metal trim on my vehicle. How am I able to tell what type of metal it is and what would be best to clean and polish these areas? Would a tire cleaning product work for the rubber type material around my bumbers and other areas of the body? Would some type of all in 1 metal polish work for these areas or is a specific compound needed?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3612750648_2a812715b6.jpg?v=0

Lastly I have a type of carpeting on my doors, on the bottom is is much like the vehicles carpet and its covering the speaker area, would I use my buddies extractor to clean this area of the door similar to the carpets in the vehicle or should I use carpet cleaning solution and a carpet brush?

Also there is a felt type covering on the top of the doors, I have no idea what type of material this is if its not felt and I have no knowledge on cleaning, protecting this type of material.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3612752052_f74ba64963.jpg?v=0

Thanks in advance for all your help in advance, I really appreciate the people who share their wisdom with me!

*Any other tips for a young but enthusiastic detailer looking to learn, especially on older vehicles. *

michael k
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
The wheels are Aluminun and are toast.You might be able to clean them up with alot of elbo greese.
The trim around the windows I believe are stainless and the center possible a brushed (satin)anadized aluminun.You might try something safe like a cleaner wax from meguiars.

gewb
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Also there is a felt type covering on the top of the doors, I have no idea what type of material this is if its not felt and I have no knowledge on cleaning, protecting this type of material.

*Any other tips for a young but enthusiastic detailer looking to learn, especially on older vehicles. *

The fabric is a valour type. Use any good cloth upholstry cleaner (even some OTC fabric cleaners can work well such as Blue Coral upholstry foam or Woolite OXY DEEP if it has "stains" to be removed).

Learning techniques on an older vehicle is worth much more than the value of the vehicle! Go for it.

Regards,
GEWB

ScottB
06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I remember those wheels well, father was a Buick GM for last 20 years. The wheels were considered machined and were clearcoated originally. Those are indeed damaged. Couple of hints ... look on Ebay or UPickIt Lots as you can find lots of them. The 3.8 is one of GM's most successful motors and long since moved from a Buick exclusive to most lines. Consider full synthetics on any used car, and watch the head gasket and these puppies seem to go on forever. Best of luck !!

gewb
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I remember those wheels well, father was a Buick GM for last 20 years. The wheels were considered machined and were clearcoated originally. Those are indeed damaged. Couple of hints ... look on Ebay or UPickIt Lots as you can find lots of them. The 3.8 is one of GM's most successful motors and long since moved from a Buick exclusive to most lines. Consider full synthetics on any used car, and watch the head gasket and these puppies seem to go on forever. Best of luck !!

My dad has also had Buicks since 1964. They have been pretty good for his use but the ONE thing that stands out is the water pump - they seem to go out every 60k miles. As for the paint, only the maroon color had a problem (faded quickly).

Regards,
GEWB