PDA

View Full Version : waxing brand new car paint?

martinrulz
06-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey all brand new member here with a quick question for you knowledgable folks. So, I ordered a new 2010 Ford Fusion Sport in black and was wondering if it was OK to wax it right away. I've heard both yes and no but was curious what you guys think. Thanks for the help in advance!

Ryan

SRHTX
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
From what I know, you are not to wax any vehicle UNTIL the new paint is over 30 days old.

btw - My father is driving one of those new Fusions, like yours, as a demo at the dealership where he works. Shocked the heck out of me seeing a CAR instead of a TRUCK. All of his demos, for MANY MANY yeas, have always been trucks. yuck. lol

Lasthope05
06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
You can wax brand new factory paint. Its the resprays that need a few months to out-gas. Factory paint is baked on during production. This heating process cures the paint instantly.

Happy Waxing! :cheers:

detail viking
06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
:whs: You should be ok to wax. Chances are it was manufactured well beyond thirty days ago. You should be able to find a manufacturing date inside the door.

watermantra
06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
You can wax brand new factory paint. Its the resprays that need a few months to out-gas. Factory paint is baked on during production. This heating process cures the paint instantly.

Happy Waxing! :cheers:

:whs: You should be ok to wax. Chances are it was manufactured well beyond thirty days ago. You should be able to find a manufacturing date inside the door.

Both of these:whs:...

Rsurfer
06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes you can wax right away. What do you think the dealer does when he delivers the car? Tell the customer to accept a dirty car and bring it back in 30 days to get it detailed. I don't think so.

detail viking
06-09-2009, 11:24 PM
It's official.:rolleyes: Did you really think the dealer did that? LOL Welcome to the forum btw...:cheers:

Gary Sword
06-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Since you're ordering the car and it's black I would tell the dealer not to wash it before delivery so you can get the car before they have a chance to swirl it up.

RTexasF
06-10-2009, 06:30 AM
The paint is baked on so go for it with the wax. Claying first should be considered.

SRHTX
06-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Since you're ordering the car and it's black I would tell the detailer not to wash it before delivery so you can get the car before they have a chance to swirl it up.

Well, that is kinda what the Ford, Lincoln Mercury store my father is a Manager at WILL DO. Every car goes through the auto wash. That auto wash will cause the vehicle to have swirls on the paint. I did a before and after on a used Chevrolet Cobalt. Proved a point to them, however, they are not going to stop using that auto wash.

Al-53
06-10-2009, 07:29 AM
paint on new cars are Infra Red cured so they are ready to seal when you buy them...

Also Ford has a Technical Service bulletin to do a de-com wash to every vehicle before delivery to remove any rail dust and any transportation contamination on the paint...but a mild clay job would not hurt...

Most dealerships use a pad glaze before delivery to give the paint a wet look..but it lasts about 2 washes tops....

get your self a sealant or wax of your choice and wash it and seal it...

Do not get any paint treatment from the dealer...it is nothing more than a plain jane type sealer that you have to bring in periodically to have redone..they claim 5 years protection..not going to happen...

Al

OGauge4Me
06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Since you're ordering the car and it's black I would tell the detailer not to wash it before delivery so you can get the car before they have a chance to swirl it up.

X2 Too bad you did not have the no wash put into the contract for the car with penalties to the dealer. When asked I have never had a dealer refuse to not wash the car.

Trust us you will be glad you did the washing yourself.

gewb
06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
:iagree: :whs: :goodpost:

First order of business after taking delivery:

> Wash car
> CLAY the car to remove (potential) rail car break dust (nasty stuff)
> Polish/paint prep such as Wolfy's Paintwork Polish Enhancer on a quality applicator (if you don't own a DA polisher)

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)
CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators - Hand polish, hand detail, foam applicators, CCS foam pads, polishing pad (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-foam-hand-applicators.html)

> Coat with a quality sealant

Please try do do this as soon as you take delivery - don't wait.

Regards,
GEWB

martinrulz
06-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I guess the consensus is its ok to wax and not let the dealer touch it lol. This is what I have in my arsenal of detailing products. First wash, then clay then I'll throw on some Red Moose Glaze and then I have some adams butter wax as the topper. Sound OK?

OGauge4Me
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
If you have a PC and the right products you might want to jewel the finish. This is entirely optional.

When I took delivery of my 04 I have to polish a little to remove some light scratches from someone wiping the dirt off the car with their finger. I wish I knew about jewelling then. I then added about 3 coats of Zaino and the car looked better than new.

When I took it back to the dealer for tags he wanted me to do a few other cars in the showroom. He could not afford me. LOL

And I am a hobbyist not a pro.