PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Grime....aged

Blackfire
06-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I have an 04 Tribute with factory finished wheels. The two fronts, which are now on the back since rotation, have been stained since the first winter.

Any ideas on what will truly work? Method? Product?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/mhudak/WheelGrime.jpg

I have tried 3 OTC Wheel Cleaners and a stiff brush. The grime/stain won't budge. Any help appreciated. My tires with DP Gel look great, but the wheels are ugh.

Thanks,

Michael

ScottB
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
You can try Poorboys Spray/Rinse Wheel cleaner for a stronger option. I would then use a paint polish and some elbow grease or a Mothers Powerball Mini and see if it can help. If its etched or stained into the finish only polishing will help, wheel cleaner will only remove outside crud.

Blackfire
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks. I'll give the paint polish a try. Maybe the Meguiars cleaner wax?

supercharged
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
if Poorboy's won't work, try Megs Wheel Brightener. Be sure not to use it on uncoated alluminum as it might stain those wheels...

Jimmie
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
What are those wheels? Coated stainless or painted? Hard to tell from the picture.

Blackfire
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I'll read the Mfgr's window sticker tomorrow and let you know.

SRHTX
06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
You can try Poorboys Spray/Rinse Wheel cleaner for a stronger option. I would then use a paint polish and some elbow grease or a Mothers Powerball Mini and see if it can help. If its etched or stained into the finish only polishing will help, wheel cleaner will only remove outside crud.

:iagree::whs: I use my Poorboy on my '08 Mazda 3s GT. Works like a charm. :buffing:

sr20det
06-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Polish them out by hand.. I just finished some VW wheels that had the same baked on junk, but the VW BBS wheels were much worse. I used Megs 105 on a MF towel, then 205 and Collinite 845 to protect.

I would bet that Ultimate Compound/SwirlX would make for a good OTC combo. Be careful with the Wheel Cleaning chems, that can be VERY harsh. I have seen many wheels get etched/wrecked with harsh stuff.

Blackfire
06-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks. I'll tackle that today.

Well guys. It doesn't always take nasty chemicals to remove that kind of nasty grime.

I tried three solutions and here are my results.

1. Mother's Chrome Polish accompanied by a stiff brush. Results were..minimal.
2. Gunk stain remover. Forget it!
3. I just happened to get an order of Stoner Glass Cleaner from AGO the other day.
Hmmmmmmmmm..I sprayed the area and the lovely wife just happened to be walking by me
on her way to work. So, her brilliant little mind suggests; "why don't you try a Magic Eraser with
that glass cleaner.

DONE!..like a cake walk!

That is WHY we have a wife!

The magic eraser was removing it with a lot of effort, but with the glass cleaner it broke it down quickly.

I'll show pictures after they are all cleaned and polished.

ScottB
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
now you owe her a purse .. shoes .. or even a blouse or two, dont think a wifes suggestion comes without a price. In this case it was likely worth every penny !!

BigBoy
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
The magic eraser was removing it with a lot of effort, but with the glass cleaner it broke it down quickly.

I'll show pictures after they are all cleaned and polished.

I can't remember I think it was PB that used to have a sponge that reminds me of the majic eraser. Anyone else remember that sponge.

Blackfire
06-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I finished the job!

Stoner glass cleaner and a Magic Eraser.

Take a look.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/mhudak/CleanedWheel.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/mhudak/CleanWheel2.jpg

After I receive my Father's Day order I'll layer some wheel paste on them. For now, they are polished with 3M Pro Finish.

bill walsh
06-11-2009, 06:47 PM
i have also used sonic detail brush kit with good wheel cleaner for great results

Blackfire
06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
My fingers are sore! I will not allow them to get stained like that again.

SRHTX
06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
My fingers are sore! I will not allow them to get stained like that again.

Sore? Try detailing with my right hand. If I hit that one finger the WRONG WAY, boy, stay away from me. LOL I'm just glad that finger can handle my FLEX. :cruisin: