PDA

View Full Version : Novice Detailer needs advice!!!

bigblueshmid
06-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a 2000 White Nissan Maxima and am looking to detail it. I'm new to detailing but have been reading up on the different waxes and such. I am stuck on which way to go. So Feed back please would be nice.

The first way I've thought about is the Forum Favorite with Klasse AIO, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax, andPinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba Detail Spray for touch-up.

The second way is Klasse AIO, Klasse High Gloss Sealent Glaze, and P21S 100% Carnauba Wax.

I don't know which would give the best shine as my car is White or which is better. I've heard good things about both. So if you all could help me out I would appreciate it. Also, this is the first major detail I would be doing and don't know whether I should clay bar my Maxima or not either. I don't know when you would need to do this. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

PerroneFord
06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
This is like asking about playing baseball and asking for advice on how to steal home plate.

How do you plan to get the car clean? Does the paint need to be polished before you apply these sealants? Does any other work need to be performed?

Once the paint is in pristine condition, either of these methods will produce very nice results. You aren't going to get a deep, wet look on a white car. So the high reflectivity of a sealant is probably going to be very welcome. I don't know that I'd spend the money on a high end carnauba wax for this job.

Spend your detailing time on getting the car clean, and the surface smooth, and the rest will fall into place.

Blackthorn One
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
You probably won't notice the difference with the Souveran paste on a white car. It doesn't last long, either. It is for making paint look deep rich. Souveran liquid is better for lighter colors than the paste. It gives more gloss. You should always have some clay and clay lube. Clay whenever the paint feels rough. The second way I think would give you more of what you want. Natty's Red Wax looks very wet, also.

Blackfire
06-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, a clean, smooth surface is always the best reflective surface.:whs:

I think I would go with:

Wash
Clay

WG - Paint Polish Enhancer
WG - Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

As for the Carnauba, only if you enjoy the application and buffing. A white car won't look like a reflective lake of water.

I'm a rookie, so I may be wrong. Follow the pro's advice here. :)

Emile
06-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Skip the Klasse Twins and go with Optimum Poli-Seal. It's cheaper, it cleans and seals in one step, and it's an absolute joy to buff off. After Poli-Seal, go with P21S or Poorboy's Natty's White.

As far as claying your vehicle, it all depends on how much driving you do and the hardness of the clay. For example, some people like to clay their vehicles once a month, using a very soft clay. Claying once a month only calls for a soft clay bar as not much contamination can accumulate in a one-month period. Claying once every six to eighteen months typically calls for a medium-grade clay bar. If the vehicle has never been clayed at all, or not in a few years, then a harder and more aggressive clay is probably needed. Time is not only a factor...every car is driven in different environments with different mileage and overall difference conditions. A medium-grade clay bar such as DP Universial Clay is generally a great place to start if you're just unsure.

Personally, I like to clay once every 12,000 miles with a medium-grade clay bar.

bigblueshmid
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. The car has never been clayed since I've owned it and I doubt the previous owner ever had it detailed. Hopefully it's not a lost cause now. The paint is in clean condition for its age. I just want to add as much shine and protectant as I can. Would I need to use a polish and a clay bar to get the paint clean and smooth or will one do? If there is anybody in the Kentucky area that does detailing maybe you can help me out. Here are some pictures of my car to give you all something too look at.

bigblueshmid
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
All of the above suggested products can be applied with microfiber clothes right, or is a buffer absolutely necessary?

dublifecrisis
06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
get a buffer...at least a Porter Cable and like the OP said, Optimum Poli-seal is an excellent AIO polish.