PDA

View Full Version : Poor Boys Wheel Sealant- On paint!

christian900se
06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I decided that, since I love the slickness and durability of PBs wheel sealant, why not use it on paint?

So I tested it out on a spare hood (black) that I had laying around. I had it perfectly polished, IPA wipedown and ready to apply the sealant. It made the flake pop, and left a very impressive shine (similar to Collinite 915). So I applied one coat, buffed off and left the hood out for 3 months...

Today, I grabbed the hood and washed it off. Water was beading very well and after I dried it off, felt almost as slick as when I first applied it! I know its not specifically used for car paint, but why shouldnt we use it?

Rsurfer
06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Dunno why, but leaving a sealant on a hood without washing weekly would likely last longer than on a car that's washed weekly. That's a dozen washes vrs. no wash.

ANDYS87
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
That's the next product to add to my want list.................

christian900se
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Rsurfer: Thats why I prefer working on cars that are rarely washed... Oxidization is better than swirls in my opinion. Your point is well taken, but 3 months of pollen, hard rain and mud (splashed up) that I allowed to build up is asking alot out one layer of any wax/sealant.

Rsurfer
06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Rsurfer: Thats why I prefer working on cars that are rarely washed... Oxidization is better than swirls in my opinion. Your point is well taken, but 3 months of pollen, hard rain and mud (splashed up) that I allowed to build up is asking alot out one layer of any wax/sealant.It is a lot to ask, but a DD parked outside would have the same exposer plus the washings.

ScottB
06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Should be rather interchangable, some use regular sealants on wheels.

2upFZ1
06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
How about asking Poorboy's about using it on body paint? Maybe there is a long-term problem with using it there. I dunno

I would ask them, but I don't want to step on your toes. I love their EX-P and really want to know their response to the question about using the wheel wax on bodywork.

christian900se
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Well, the paint on wheels is the same as paint on the car so I dont see any problems... Anyways, I really just wanted to see what it would look like since I love it on wheels so much. Im not planning on using it on paint, so no worries ;)

If I were to compare it in looks, its similar to WG DPS in my opinion.

Emile
06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't do it. Wheel sealant/wax products typically have heavy cleaners in them. OEM wheels have much more durable paint.

Look at it this way; you don't use wheel cleaner to wash your car, so don't use a wheel wax to wax your vehicle. Perhaps there are no effects after one application, but after repeated use there may be some damage done to the vehicle paint job.

If I were you and wanted to simplify my detailing shelf, I would just use one of my paint sealants on the wheels. Sealants typically have no trouble bonding to the wheels. But I have said this before and I'll say it again; sealed wheels should be cleaned with soap and water as a strong wheel cleaner will strip the sealant.

christian900se
06-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Im not trying to simplify my supplies, this was purely a durability test. It was a "I want to see what happens" kind of thing.

I already stated that I dont plan to use it on paint, hence my use of a scrap panel to apply it on.

2upFZ1
06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
That's what I was cautious about also. If it has heavy cleaners in it, I wouldn't use it. But I still want to hear PoorBoy's $0.02 on using it on paint.