PDA

View Full Version : Review: Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush

Pages : [1] 2

PerroneFord
06-06-2009, 07:14 PM
This is just a quickie review.

I had a chance to try my new Daytona Speed Master Brush today. I purchased the product primarily to work on vehicles with wire wheels or other difficult wheels. Including ones with clearance issues between the calipers and the wheel.

Pros:

Not overly expensive compared to other high-end products
Highly effective at reaching tight areas and conforming to the available space
Chemical resistant
Hand guard to protect your hand from danger
Long bristles reach into impossible spots.

Cons:

Soft bristles don't do much for baked on brake dust
Flexible stem doesn't allow you to put much elbow grease into agitation
Kinda pricey if you need 2 of them (one for wheels, one for general purposes)

Summary:
Overall, I found the brush to be everything it is advertised to be, but probably not everything it's hyped to be. If your wheels are well cared for, and you don't need to "scrub" them, just agitate, then this brush is just the ticket. It makes quick work of hard-to-reach areas and really gives good agitation moving side to sided and in an out. However, if need to scrub a wheel, you need a different tool.

Where I did find this brush incredibly valuable was cleaning in the grill, and other tough areas. It should be marvelous for engine cleaning, cleaning tough grills (Mustang 99-04), louvered hoods or other areas, etc.

Overall a VERY worthwhile purchase.

loudog2
06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I have 2 of these brushes and like them a lot. I keep my rims very clean, but I do have a couple secondary scrub brushes for dirty customer rims.

What wheel cleaner did you use with the brush?

PerroneFord
06-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I started with Griot's to test the product. I posted a review a few minutes ago. I then moved to Surf City Grime Destroyer. Hands down the best grime killer I have ever seen or used. I don't know what they put in it, but it friggin WORKS.

j_anderson_23
06-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Perrone, Q about Surf City Grime Destroyer, where did you get it at, the actually website? 20$?

ScottB
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Anyone find themselves speckled with wheel cleaner/brake dust when pulling back on these brushes. I know slow and steady ...

PerroneFord
06-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Perrone, Q about Surf City Grime Destroyer, where did you get it at, the actually website? 20$?

To be honest, Ive bought it twice, both times at the local Pep Boy's. Never again. I am going to see if I can get this stuff by the gallon. Nothing else I have works as well.

Junebug1998
06-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Used my new DSM wheel brush for the first time yesterday on wife's 09 Accord. It had been about two weeks since it was last washed due to all the rain in the midwest. I have to say that I was disappointed by the results. I found that the bristles where to soft. There wasnt what I would call baked on brake dust and it barely cut through it using my regular wash soap because I really like to reduce the amount of junk that is released into the storm drains. When used with wheel cleaner it did do a better job but still not so good. My microfiber mit that I use on wheels did a better job.

It does allow you to get into the nooks and crannies and all the way to the inside of the wheel which I like alot !!!

kurtdaniel
09-25-2009, 01:30 AM
despite the cons..i still like daytona..i have a daytona which I upgraded with lots of Flowmaster (http://www.racepages.com/brand/flowmaster.html) stuffs and the results was great..:iagree:

Emile
09-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Nice review. Can you compare this to the EZ Detail Brush? I've read that the Daytona brush has softer bristles to be more gentle on rims, and that the handle and the tip are less prone to failure.

trek
09-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Nice review. Can you compare this to the EZ Detail Brush? I've read that the Daytona brush has softer bristles to be more gentle on rims, and that the handle and the tip are less prone to failure.

To my knowledge they are the same besides the size, being the whole mini is 1" shorter then just the bristles of the daytona....

SRHTX
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
On some vehicles, it does take me more than one time to clean the inside rims. Especially German and English vehicles. It also counts if no one knows, or ever tries, to clean the insides. Down here, no one really does, although, I do know one other person who does.

Stephen

DLB
09-28-2009, 03:22 PM
To be honest, Ive bought it twice, both times at the local Pep Boy's. Never again. I am going to see if I can get this stuff by the gallon. Nothing else I have works as well.
I second that. My only cons to the stuff is that AG doesn't carry it any more, and that on painted surfaces, it can clean TOO well.
What do I mean? If you have a paint job with "stains" on the top surface, it will clean then off, exposing where you didn't spray it.
That's only a problem when the customer wants a quick wash and wax, no correction.

DLB

Laura
09-28-2009, 06:55 PM

I have both of these brushes and love them. The Daytona is 18" overall with 9" of bristles. At the base, the bristles are about 4" in diameter. The mini is a little over 12" overall with 6" of bristles. At the base, those bristles are about 2 1/2" in diameter. They both are very soft, not good for scrubbing caked on dust or tar, but they are easily molded into whatever shape you need to reach difficult places. I've read where people have had problems with the tips, but I haven't. Killer was right in his earlier posting that it will speckle you with cleaner and dust when pulling it out if you're not careful.

14automobiles
09-29-2009, 08:54 AM
I started with Griot's to test the product. I posted a review a few minutes ago. I then moved to Surf City Grime Destroyer. Hands down the best grime killer I have ever seen or used. I don't know what they put in it, but it friggin WORKS.

Have you used Poorboys Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner? How does Surf City GD compare to PB for stuck on grime? Anyone that has compared the two I would like to hear what you have to say. I am looking for the best product to remove caked on junk off of wheels.

:buffing:

Emile
09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I have an EZ Detail Brush and a Mini EZ Detail Brush (and two more of each for backup, still unused!). I am very happy with my EZ Detail Brushes but Autogeek is making me so tempted to order a pair of Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brushes. I use the EZ Detail for wheel barrels and I bend the Mini EZ Detail in an "L" shape and use that to clean behind the spokes.

As killrwheels correctly stated, I have to try and make sure to stay out of the "line of fire" when pulling my EZ Detail Brush out...pulling it out slowly really helps out, so does moving a bit over to the side. Of course, I found this out the hard way as wheel cleaner has flinged its way into my eyes on several occasions!