PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review - DP Gloss Tire Gel

Blackfire
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi, it's me again. Putting my recent order from AG to good use and want to share my findings on the DP Gloss Tire Gel.

DP Gloss Tire Gel penetrates deep below the surface to hydrate and refresh dull, dry rubber. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp330.html)

Step 1. Wash tires and wheels thoroughly with 1/4 cup Krud Kutter to half gallon water. Scrub each tire with a stiff bristled tire brush and rinse with strong stream water. After one washing the residue was reduced but not completely removed. Another washing, soaking about 10 minutes and rinse did the job.

Step 2. Dried each tire and wheel thoroughly with a disposable terry towel. Let air dry another 30 minutes.

Step 3. Applied one coat DP Gloss Tire Gel per label but I used a terry cloth applicator pad instead of the foam pad shipped with the Gel. Reason: These tires require a lot of circular motion to get even coverage due to the course texture of the sidewalls.

After one coat DP Gloss Tire Gel.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/mhudak/DPTireGelonecoat.jpg

The one coat is a nice, matte finish. I like it. But, it's the wife's car and she requested another coat.

Step 4. Applied second coat DP Gloss Tire Gel and waited 15 minutes. The gloss was becoming more than she liked so I buffed the tire several times with a horsehair shoe brush. Now it's perfect for her liking.

After second coat DP Gloss Tire Gel - Buffed after 15 minutes set time.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/mhudak/DPTireGel2ndCoatbuffed.jpg

We're taking the car to Columbus for a week. Hopefully there will be some rain to put it to the test. I'll keep track of the longevity of the luster.

Michael

ScottB
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I love the gloss that DP affords and warn on using any gel formula to take a couple precautions to avoid spitting.

1. Make sure tires are dry first, this includes the ribbing where water sits around the tires name emblazoned on the tires. A blower or can of compressed air works well.

2. No matter how many coats applied, consider a final buff with a clean applicator (preferably MF or Cloth) to remove any excess and allow product to fully dry and cure. Usually done 10 or more minutes after application of last level.

Nice review Mike !!

Blackfire
06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the tips! The sidewalls on these tires have tiny ribs that are hard to get dry. I'll use the air next time to be sure they are dry.

I'll also buff with a clean applicator next treatment too. I wish to get the right combination that produces the best results.

Did I mention I'm a perfectionist painter? :)

Meghan
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Killer is right you want to make sure when applying that much you remove the excess that might have pooled in the coarse texture areas

Emile
06-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, that second coat of tire shine made for a substantial difference in gloss even though you buffed some of it away. I keep hearing good things about DP Gloss Tire Gel so once of these days I will have to cave in and buy it.

AntC
02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Just beautiful ,good work