PDA

View Full Version : Bug Spatter Removal?

MistysMurano
06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys!

I am a noob, so be patient with me. I just purchased a new Nissan Murano SL 4 weeks ago (black) and washed it for the 1st time this weekend using Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and a sea sponge. Dried off the car with the Cobra Microfiber cloth. Just on the front hood/bumper are splotch marks on the paint that I can't get off, I assume it is bug splatter? Could anyone guide me as to what product I should use to take it off? I used a bit of Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax, but nothing seemed to work and I don't want to damage the paint. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Misty

ObsessiveAutoDetail
06-01-2009, 10:32 AM
If it's just on the surface, I recommend Poor Boy's Bug Squash. It ROCKS! You can use it with a Pinnacle Bug Scrubber Sponge.. If it's etched, you may need to turn to a light polish. Hope this helps.

YankeeFan
06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I have had the Pinnacle scrubber for a while but very afraid to use it as it is so rough. With so much emphasis placed on not creating swirls/scratches by using two buckets, using microfiber towels, using a leaf blower, etc. but then using this sponge, it just doesn’t match up. I'm just curious how well it has worked for you? I'm not saying anything good or bad about it just very nervous to use it, especially on Honda's soft CC.

Howard

Jimmie
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Clay is worth a try too. You may want to consider claying your whole car anyway. This is a good game plan: Wash-Clay-Polish-Protect.
The polish can be either type:
Chemical-by hand-Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.
Abrasive-by buffer.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I have had the Pinnacle scrubber for a while but very afraid to use it as it is so rough. With so much emphasis placed on not creating swirls/scratches by using two buckets, using microfiber towels, using a leaf blower, etc. but then using this sponge, it just doesn’t match up. I'm just curious how well it has worked for you? I'm not saying anything good or bad about it just very nervous to use it, especially on Honda's soft CC.

Howard

I just let it soak in my soap bucket for a few before I use it. Just keep it wet and soaped, use light pressure and you're good. I've used it on my own vehicles and high-end customer's vehicles with no marring/scratching.

MistysMurano
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks so much for the info. guys. :) I ordered the Pinnacle Bug Scrubber Sponge and bug remover.

I don't ever remember ever having this spatter stuff on my black Pontiac Fiero GT (back in the 80's), but maybe because the car was more aerodynamic with the bugs!

Did someone say they use a leaf blower on their vehicle? LOL! Im the MAN

Misty

Jimmie
06-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much for the info. guys. :)
Did someone say they use a leaf blower on their vehicle? LOL! Im the MAN

Misty

A bunch of us do. Great way to cut down on water spotting, water wicking from lights, mirrors, doors. Fast and easy on grills, wheels. Plus, not too much left to dry so it's easier to use a QD. Does sound goofy though, huh? LOL.

MistysMurano
06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I have to admit, after reading about the leaf blower I started laughing out loud (at my office). My boss was wondering what the heck I was up to.

So, I guess I better tell my husband to hand over his leaf blower, :D

HMFIC
06-01-2009, 01:47 PM
If it's just on the surface, I recommend Poor Boy's Bug Squash. It ROCKS! You can use it with a Pinnacle Bug Scrubber Sponge.. If it's etched, you may need to turn to a light polish. Hope this helps.

I have to agree. I just got some Poor Boys bug squash and it works really well.

MistysMurano
06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Great, can't wait to get my order and try it out.

I didn't get the Clay and Clay Lubricant yet, but I really want to try it. It looks like it is fun to use. My husband will kill me if I keep spending money on automotive stuff. I spent $300 a couple of weeks ago to start and $60 today. Clay will be next week! :righton:

ScottB
06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I have to admit, after reading about the leaf blower I started laughing out loud (at my office). My boss was wondering what the heck I was up to.

So, I guess I better tell my husband to hand over his leaf blower, :D

no, no, no .... you need a seperate leaf blower dedicated to car care. You husband might have used his meaning sand, rocks, and other items could come blowing back at you as most machines also do some sucking/vacuuming. :cheers:

MistysMurano
06-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Oh Okay. I will stay away from my husband's leaf blower, didn't think about the debris it may have in it. Thanks! Like I said, I am a noob. :D

wytstang
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I just let it soak in my soap bucket for a few before I use it. Just keep it wet and soaped, use light pressure and you're good. I've used it on my own vehicles and high-end customer's vehicles with no marring/scratching.
+1 I've used it on the wife's car and mine with zero marring. If you have a foam gun that will be an added bonus at keeping the surface lubricated so it just glides across with very mild pressure.