PDA

View Full Version : peeling clear coat...how to blend in?

ANDYS87
06-01-2009, 08:40 AM
The clear is peeling and bubbling up in areas from my front bumper. There is a quarter sized area of clear that recently bubbled and I scraped off with my finger nail. There are other patches lower, where the clear is gone. The paint underneath is fine. Certain areas just don't look right now because you can see the edges where the clear ends. What do you guys recommend using to maybe polish these areas to wear down the clear a little and blend in these areas? Dont have a camera right now to show you.

RaskyR1
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
The clear is peeling and bubbling up in areas from my front bumper. There is a quarter sized area of clear that recently bubbled and I scraped off with my finger nail. There are other patches lower, where the clear is gone. The paint underneath is fine. Certain areas just don't look right now because you can see the edges where the clear ends. What do you guys recommend using to maybe polish these areas to wear down the clear a little and blend in these areas? Dont have a camera right now to show you.

Honestly, I think you should sand down and repaint the whole bumper. It's likely if you clear over it other areas will just bubble or peel later down the road as there is obviously a bonding issue with it. I also think any attempt to sand or blend the edge will likely result in you sanding through the base color next to the peeled area.

Just my $.02

Rasky :cheers:

HMFIC
06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Honestly, I think you should sand down and repaint the whole bumper. It's likely if you clear over it other areas will just bubble or peel later down the road as there is obviously a bonding issue with it. I also think any attempt to sand or blend the edge will likely result in you sanding through the base color next to the peeled area.

Just my $.02

Rasky :cheers:

:iagree: Yep got to get it repainted. No question to that.

Most paint shops use your gas tank lid for color match. So make sure it is polished well to ensure better paint matching.

AeroCleanse
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
It needs to be repainted. But you might be able to save money if you can prep it.