PDA

View Full Version : 1st use of the pc and still swirls

redg35
09-04-2006, 04:51 PM
allright finally got to use the new pc7424,i have been working on cars all my life and i think i know what im doing.i started with xm#2 with the lake country orange pad and it looks like i got 40-50% of the swirls out,i did not get any dusting and it looks like what the instructional vid shows when i buff it off.should i try 1 more pass with xm#2 or go to xm#1 with the same pad for step 2.thanks for any info............ps i went very slow and overlapped 50% and didnt have any marring after,it looked like it broke down very well.

FloridaNative
09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I would give it another pass and then go onto the XMT 1

redg35
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
I would give it another pass and then go onto the XMT 1thanks that is what i was thinking also.i just didnt want to over do it.god im glad this is a knowledgeable forum with nice people who dont flame you for every question you ask.:)

ScottB
09-04-2006, 05:36 PM
sometimes you also need to consider going to a harsher pad or polish. Are you sure you removed some swirls ?? If so, keep doing what your doing.

P1et
09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
RedG, I was careful about doing my truck since the paint was in "OK" shape. But to get all the swirls out, I still had to do two passes of SSR2.5 on an orange pad to get them all out. Then again, it was about 2 years of swirls, but still.

redg35
09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
sometimes you also need to consider going to a harsher pad or polish. Are you sure you removed some swirls ?? If so, keep doing what your doing.i have to do it outside but yes it really looked like it removed quite a bit.i used a flouresent light to look at the swirls before and after,but it was pretty cloudy and maybe i was fooled.i did the flouresent light before and and after in pretty much the same conditions.it rained all day today so im gonna go at it again tomorrow and see what happens.wish me luck.:o

BILL
09-05-2006, 05:55 PM
A halogen light will also show hidding swirls real good....

Totoland Mach
09-05-2006, 05:59 PM
allright finally got to use the new pc7424,i have been working on cars all my life and i think i know what im doing.i started with xm#2 with the lake country orange pad and it looks like i got 40-50% of the swirls out,i did not get any dusting and it looks like what the instructional vid shows when i buff it off.should i try 1 more pass with xm#2 or go to xm#1 with the same pad for step 2.thanks for any info............ps i went very slow and overlapped 50% and didnt have any marring after,it looked like it broke down very well.

redg35: looks like you're on the right approach. I've found the XMT Swirl Remover product line (#3,#2,#1) to not dust at all (I also use the XMT Pad Conditioner). I typically do the same process on 1 panel and check my work. This method lets me adjust my product/pad mix. I also tend to start with a pad like the orange one, work an area, then change to a finer pad and a step to the lighter product. I.E. Orange + XMT 2, then Finish + XMT 1. If that doesn't produce the results, I go back to the more aggressive method.

Patience is the key, above all. Work a panel to perfection and remember how you got to that level. Then the rest of the car will go easier.

Totoland Mach.

PS: you're right about this site being friendly and non-flammable! Great bunch of folks hanging around here.